Cannot Get Working Burning Software

vbimport

I have a Pioneer BDR-206 w/ firmware 1.56
Till now I have been using Nero 8 which I bought long ago.
I wanted to try burning a Blu-Ray disc, and I realized that I need a new burning software. Nero has always worked fine for CD’s and DVD’s with my BDR-206, but I have always felt that Nero had a whole lot of apps that I don’t need and when trying to author a DVD-Video it is way slower than something like TMPGEnc. So I figured that I would try some of the very well recommended freeware out there.

I tried Imgburn. It works well except it will not burn multisession for CD or DVD. I frequently use multisession, so it was a deal breaker.

I tried Ashampoo free, but you cannot set the type of filesystem or use long labels. No dice.

I tried Burnaware and CDBurner XP, but I cannot get them to open the tray drawer after burn and before verify no matter what boxes I check, so the second and further sessions will not verify because they cannot see the new files that have been written.

I can see that a free solution is not going to cut it, but I need some guidance here, because I really do not want to beta test every optical disc burning software out there.

What can I get that will do what Nero does, only better and without loading lots of junk onto my PC?

TIA

Are these video files or data files?

[QUOTE=Disc_Dizzy;2665399]
I tried Imgburn. It works well except it will not burn multisession for CD or DVD. I frequently use multisession, so it was a deal breaker.

TIA[/QUOTE]

Ms on DVD is madness…

[QUOTE=Steve33;2665404]Are these video files or data files?[/QUOTE]

My multisessions are always data files. Usually they are backup files that I have taken off my backup hard drive because it has become too full. I keep adding until the DVD-R or DVD+R is full and then I archive it for awhile. I have never had good luck with DVD +/-RW. They always seemed to get corrupted and I gave up on them except in my TV Set Top DVD burner where I use DVD+RW for my hearing impared parents. They cannot handle the complexity of a DVR. Generally I do not use multisession CD’s because of their lower capacity, but once in awhile something comes up.

If I can get Blu-Ray going I will probably use multisession to save my backup files as I currently do on DVD.

One correction to my earlier post. My burner is a BDR-206D. I don’t know if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

You would do better to change your habits in storing files. Keep them on the hard drive until you have enough to fill a dvd or blu ray in one session. Use Imgburn for that, on either type of media.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2665473]You would do better to change your habits in storing files. Keep them on the hard drive until you have enough to fill a dvd or blu ray in one session. Use Imgburn for that, on either type of media.[/QUOTE]

Why is multisession considered a less than desirable protocol ?

I’ll let someone that has used multisession give a more technical answer .
The simple one is it has a high failure rate . Whether that is due to who , what , or how it was written I can’t say.

Multisession discs may not be readable if the later sessions exceed 2gb (on dvds). And multisession burns are hit or miss on being read on various types of equipment anyway, regardless of size.

Burning multisession on Blu ray? No…just…no.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2665486]Multisession discs may not be readable if the later sessions exceed 2gb (on dvds). And multisession burns are hit or miss on being read on various types of equipment anyway, regardless of size.

Burning multisession on Blu ray? No…just…no.[/QUOTE]

Argh !!!
I guess I have had good luck with this then. I heretofore have not run into these kinds of problems. Alright I’ll re-load imgburn and start again.

Thanks.

If you need to work in increments in blu ray, the way to do it is with BD-RE discs. I’ve had very good luck with mine, but the ones I have are Japanese made TDK discs, that are no longer made.

If you can find a Panasonic BD-RE, that might be a solution, albeit, a very expensive one.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2665492]If you need to work in increments in blu ray, the way to do it is with BD-RE discs. I’ve had very good luck with mine, but the ones I have are Japanese made TDK discs, that are no longer made.

If you can find a Panasonic BD-RE, that might be a solution, albeit, a very expensive one.[/QUOTE]

I have had good luck with Verbatim for DVD-R and DVD+R but I read a lot of complaints about them for BD-R.

What would you recommend for BD-R ?

Also, can you tell who is the subcontractor for the TDK discs?

Anything from Japan used to mean Taiyo Yuden years ago, but I do not know if this is still the case.

I really wish there was a law that required the subvendor’s identification on a package of optical media.

I never had any problems with my Verbatim BD-R personally. I’m using Falcon Smart Blu discs for BD-R these days. They are made by FTI and are very highly recommended. Panasonic is also making very high quality BD-R discs.

I’m not sure who was making the blu ray media in Japan that Sony, TDK and Panasonic were selling a few years back. It wasn’t Taiyo Yuden. TY makes LTH blu ray, but I don’t really recommend them.

Of those companies that were selling Japanese made HTL discs (regular inorganic recording layer), only Panasonic is still doing so with any reasonable expectation of getting Japanese made discs. Sony may still have some in the retail pipeline, but for the most part, they have shifted their suppliers to Taiwan. And TDK stopped after only a short while.

If you are in the US, you can find the FTI discs at Mediamegamall. They overcharge on shipping though, at least for small amounts.

Edit: Looks like Panasonic does their production in house: http://panasonic.net/blu-ray/technology/branch/

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2665499]I never had any problems with my Verbatim BD-R personally. I’m using Falcon Smart Blu discs for BD-R these days. They are made by FTI and are very highly recommended. Panasonic is also making very high quality BD-R discs.

I’m not sure who was making the blu ray media in Japan that Sony, TDK and Panasonic were selling a few years back. It wasn’t Taiyo Yuden. TY makes LTH blu ray, but I don’t really recommend them.

Of those companies that were selling Japanese made HTL discs (regular inorganic recording layer), only Panasonic is still doing so with any reasonable expectation of getting Japanese made discs. Sony may still have some in the retail pipeline, but for the most part, they have shifted their suppliers to Taiwan. And TDK stopped after only a short while.

If you are in the US, you can find the FTI discs at Mediamegamall. They overcharge on shipping though, at least for small amounts.

Edit: Looks like Panasonic does their production in house: http://panasonic.net/blu-ray/technology/branch/[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all this very useful info.
I guess the money I will have saved on a commercial burner software will now be spent on media. :slight_smile:

One other question back on the software. Can I safely have two burner softwares installed?

I remember reading that ImgBurn will not make a disc to disc copy, so I would need another program like BurnAware to do that.

I don’t have BurnAware any longer but I have several burning software installed & I’m not having any problems.
I don’t usually burn on the fly but I may have to see if ImgBurn can do that on DVD.
I don’t have any BD hardware & may not ever.
It would be interesting to see if ImgBurn can do that .

[QUOTE=cholla;2665502]I don’t have BurnAware any longer but I have several burning software installed & I’m not having any problems.
I don’t usually burn on the fly but I may have to see if ImgBurn can do that on DVD.
I don’t have any BD hardware & may not ever.
It would be interesting to see if ImgBurn can do that .[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info. Years ago I remember that Nero and Roxio were predatory and you could not have both installed at the same time. It’s nice to know the freeware writers are not so territorial.:slight_smile:

I resisted Blu-Ray until my backup files just grew to be too many volumes. I really need to get this working in some sane fashion. I hope the Blu-Ray re-writeables are more stable than the CD and DVD rewriteables of yesteryear. The prices at the place Kerry56 recommended for the SmartBlu are much more palatable.:slight_smile: So I may give them a try. All in all, everything is just another way to drain you wallet.:slight_smile:

ImgBurn will not interfere with other burning programs. So you can install another if you wish.

In my case I have:
AnyDVD & CloneDVD2
DVDFab 8
DVDFab 8 Qt
Ideal DVD Copy
Nero 9 Essentials
Others that might burn:
WinX
WonderShare
Probably some more if I checked.
As well as ImgBurn.
ImgBurn will give a warning for AnyDVD but this only applies to Verify.
Never had any problems with it.
I just sucessfully ripped a DVD +R SL burned to a DVD -RW SL with ImgBurn on the fly using Build mode . So that works.
I didn’t have a DL disc to try & see if ImgBurn can do this with AnyDVD to decrypt from a commercial DVD.

[QUOTE=Disc_Dizzy;2665501]

One other question back on the software. Can I safely have two burner softwares installed?

I remember reading that ImgBurn will not make a disc to disc copy, so I would need another program like BurnAware to do that.[/QUOTE]

While you may want a secondary software for DVD CD disc to disc copy, You would be better to use Imgburn’s “Create image from disc” and “write image to disc” functions for Blu-ray copies. The data rate with BD is faster and Blu-rays are too expensive to coaster with buffer under-runs. Always write your BD-R from a hard drive ;).

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2665492]If you need to work in increments in blu ray, the way to do it is with BD-RE discs. I’ve had very good luck with mine, but the ones I have are Japanese made TDK discs, that are no longer made.

[/QUOTE]
Actually, they are still made. The original Japanese design and materials. Guess who makes them ;)?

Had I known you were on the lookout, I would have made more noise about these or these before they sold out at that low price :o. They are always available, but not often at such a sweet price.

Wow, thanks guys for all the helpful info.
When I read that you could not copy with ImgBurn, I thought that mean’t either direct disc to disc or disc to hard drive and then back. I am glad to find out that you can via the hard disk. One less program to fiddle with.

deanwitty, forgive my dull brain. Are you saying that TDK still makes the original design BD-RE’s or are you saying Falcon bought the rights to the TDK Japanese re-writeables too and that they make them?