Cannot get LiteOn DVD-163D into DMA mode

…only runs in PIO mode :frowning:

Tried in region 2 and unlocked, still no joy!

I’m running Win XP Corp Pro editon
Epox 8KHA+ MOBO
Seagate Barracuda 40 gig UDMA 100…IDE “channel 0” Master
LiteOn 32 speed “W” writer…IDE “channel 1” Master
LiteOn DVD-163D…IDE “channel 2” Slave

Any ideas lads?

TIA…CK.

hello cockney kid…my ltd163 sometimes goes into PIO mode if I put a disc in thats either dirty or for some reason not playable immediately by the dvd drive…it tries to access these disc’s for a few minutes then I know its gone into PIO mode because my mouse pionter becomes ‘jerky’…the way to correct this is to go into ‘device manager’ (right click on my computer then go to properties-hardware.- device manager…then look for ata-atapi controllers in the list, click the plus sign and choose the channel your dive is on “primary or secondary”…then right click on channel and choose uninstall…ignore any warnings win xp gives and simply reboot …it will re-detect your drive on bootup and ask you to reboot one further time after that…it should then have changed to udma2…(ata33)…any problems get in touch…davros

:confused:

Mine had the same DMA/PIO issue but I’m already tired of anything giving me headaches, so refund was my choice and wait until Toshiba will come out with someting new.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have one of these drives on the way here as I type this. Please post your experience with this drive or any tips you may have. I will do the same after it arrives and I get a chance to play with it. :cool:

i had this problem with my 52 speed liteon reader going into pio mode i tried everything no joy then i swapped it onto secondary master where my writer was and put my writer to primary slave and they were both dma enabled

cheers   spike

This regards Momoney. The Lite-on 163D doesn’t comply with WIndows XP, it works under 98SE/ME without a hitch or DMA /PIO issue but fails under XP. Somehow it might be a drives poor architecture . I had the same problem with Toshiba 1502 and TDK velocd 16x burner under Windows Xp .

Thanks Sammie. I have a fair amount of experience with LiteOn CDRW drives and software such as Nero and CloneCD. But I am only now starting to mess with DVD’s for my computer. I’ve had a DVD player in my entertainment system for several years now. It’s the only way to fly there for sure. Since I’m running Windows 98 I guess the DMA issue won’t be an issue for me. I still would like some advice on player software and tips for the Litey and DVD drives in general. Thanks again. :cool:

Originally posted by davros
hello cockney kid…my ltd163 sometimes goes into PIO mode if I put a disc in thats either dirty or for some reason not playable immediately by the dvd drive…it tries to access these disc’s for a few minutes then I know its gone into PIO mode because my mouse pionter becomes ‘jerky’…the way to correct this is to go into ‘device manager’ (right click on my computer then go to properties-hardware.- device manager…then look for ata-atapi controllers in the list, click the plus sign and choose the channel your dive is on “primary or secondary”…then right click on channel and choose uninstall…ignore any warnings win xp gives and simply reboot …it will re-detect your drive on bootup and ask you to reboot one further time after that…it should then have changed to udma2…(ata33)…any problems get in touch…davros

Thanks…done that.
The DVD drive and my writer have both gone into “Multi-Word Mode DMA 2”. I take it thats better than PIO mode although I have never seen it before :slight_smile:

CK

Regards Momoney. For the DVD software I would recommend Power DVD XP which is bundled with thwe Lite-on 163D but that’s not the full version of the software. Audio packs are missing because it is bundled and you are limited to 2 channel audio only, and probably some more audio features are not present. You should able to find and download the full version of Power DVD XP 4.0 from some websites( _http://kickme.to/fosi).
163D in general is fine DVD player and a good CloneCd reader , It’s fast but little noisy that Toshibas. DAE quality and speed is superior to any Dvd-rom in it’s class and it is region free and firmware upgradable unlike Toshiba 1612, so it should work perfect with 98SE.

The liteon dvd should work just fine with DMA activated.

I have build in 3 drives in 3 completely different systems (all with Windows XP Pro)

All work perfectly fine with DMA activated.
All mainboards did have VIA chipsets, and when i installed the drives i installed the latest via 4in1 drivers.

Maybe you guys should try to switch master / slave if the problem continues. Could help.
I for example have the Liteon burner on sec. master. and the dvd on sec. slave. ( I have it like this for almost a year now, no problems)

Goodluck

My experience:

Win XP many times disables DMA by itself. Try to delete the IDE channel from the device manager and reboot and let XP reinstall it, check DMA and enable it if needed and then reboot.

Also secondary slave is the place with the most DMA related issues, try to stay away from secondary slave if possible. You may also try to move your drives around so the get different connections and se if that helps.

I have the same problem only my main HDD with winXP on primary master is cursed with PIO mode. It used to run in UDMA2 until one crash did it. is it safe to do the same method of deleting the whole primary IDE channel from winXP and rebooting? because wouldn’t that getting rid of the entire HDD from which winXP is running off of all together? Any response would be appreciated…

Kev

I have a Teac 540E burner as master & 163d as slave on the secondary channel. Both co-exist flawlessly with DMA enabled.

However, I think my cd burning has slower down 10-15 secs, maybe its just my imagination. And no, I don’t use on the fly anymore.

Originally posted by Sammie
163D in general is fine DVD player and a good CloneCd reader , It’s fast but little noisy that Toshibas. DAE quality and speed is superior to any Dvd-rom in it’s class and it is region free and firmware upgradable unlike Toshiba 1612, so it should work perfect with 98SE.

Is the 165H better/worse?
-what is the real dirrerence?

Which one should I buy to use with WinXP?

thanks

peleton.

If your motherboard has an Intel chipset, you can install the Intel Application Accelerator (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/) which will give you much better DMA support than the built-in Windows drivers.

Had this exact problem about 2 weeks ago. This fixed it.

"Originally posted in the M$ Newsgroups

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro
l\Class{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

Last four digits are likely 0001, 0002. Under those keys you will find MasterIdDataChecksum, SlaveIdDataChecksum. Delete the value corresponding to your drive. It will make the OS to redetect the device DMA capabilities after reboot."

Same PIO Mode Problem as most of u guys removed the ata drivers for the secondary Ide rebooted and now it works fine

many thanks guys :bow:

Thanks so much for the advice on this PeeWee! It was the only thing that worked, and was a last ditch attempt at that! I was ready to toss it but I may keep it around a bit longer…lol
Thanks Again,

MsLate;)

if the drive is supposed to be a UDMA drive then do the following:

go into windows device manager.
then go into “IDEATA /ATAPI Controllers”
slected the channel to which your DVD rom is connected. Make sure that your primary HDD is not connected here or u will be screwed.
Select that channel. DELETE that channel. and reboot your machine. Windows redetects it and now its UDMA Mode 2 and not PIO.

Drive usually goes into PIO when it cant read something off a disc (faulty disc), in which case the CPU needs to process this and figure out where the problems is.

WORKS for secondary IDE channels. Thats how I got mine to work for me.

regards,
Chirag

not to be mean, but this thread is more than a year old. :stuck_out_tongue: