Cannot find firmware for LH-20A1PX

vbimport

Hi

I just bought one of the new external drives from Lite On (LH-20A1PX) and am having a few problems with it.
First of all, windows explorer cannot see the drive itself but the device manager detects it fine and says that everything is working properly.
Also, I’m having trouble burning a DVD but this might all be solved if I could get the right firmware for my new writer.
Does anyone know where I can get firmware for the LH-20A1PX???
Could the firmware for the LH-20A1P be used for the LH-20A1PX???
Is the ‘X’ at the end only an indication for ‘external’ drive???

Hope you can help me.
Cheers.
Fast2406

Hi and Welcome!

Then there is something seriously wrong either with the drive or with your system. Please try the drive with another computer.

Also, I’m having trouble burning a DVD but this might all be solved if I could get the right firmware for my new writer.
I doubt, this is a firmware related problem.

Does anyone know where I can get firmware for the LH-20A1PX???
Liteon website?

Could the firmware for the LH-20A1P be used for the LH-20A1PX???
Is the ‘X’ at the end only an indication for ‘external’ drive???
This was at least the case with SHM-165P6S. This might also be valid for your drive, but there is no confirmation yet.

Before you play around with firmware, try the drive with another system to sort out system or hardware issues. If the drive fails in a similar way, then it is probably defective and should be replaced.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply … much appreciated.
I should have told you that I managed to write files to a DVD with the drive just fine but I just thought that you guys might know of a workaround in order to get windows xp to detect the drive in explorer.

I checked their website but they haven’t got any firmware available for this specific product and apart from a cd with user manual and Nero nothing was enclosed when I bought the product.

Cheers.
Anders

fast2406, what OS (+SP) are you on?
What is your current firmware?

Proving this information gives us more to work with and give you more accurate answers. :wink:

Hi Mate

I’m on XP SP2 and haven’t installed any firmware yet, as there wasn’t any included with the product and none to be found on LiteOn’s website. Having said that, I might not know enough about this firmware in order to give you the answer you need. Is there a place where I can find the info???

Cheers.
Anders

Hi,

Was there a drive letter shown in your burning application? Maybe there is a “letter collision” in your system, and the drive “occupied” a drive letter, that is normally used by something else. Run diskmgmt.msc and see if the drive is listed there. You can change the drive letter of the drive at this place, too.

I checked their website but they haven’t got any firmware available for this specific product
As this problem is not firmware related, I would investigate Windows issues instead. Maybe there is additional information in the Event Log.
If you have installed software that makes use of virtual drives like Deamon tools or Alcohol, uninstall these for troubleshooting.
If you are running Nero on your system, you may also create a log file of a burn and post it here. But remove your serial before doing so.

My personal opinion about this is: Don’t flash other firmware if the system does not run properly.

EDIT:

any drive comes with firmware, that is preinstalled. Otherwise it wouldn’t work at all.

Having said that, I might not know enough about this firmware in order to give you the answer you need. Is there a place where I can find the info?
Nero Info Tool and Nero CD/DVD speed provide that information. Also it should be read from device manager.

Michael

Michael,

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions - it made me realize that windows explorer has actually detected the external drive. However, it has used the drive letter where I usually have my regular CD-ROM RW (D) and I’m not sure I understand how that can happen???
Anyway, it all seems to be fine and I burned my first DVD tonight so I’m happy lol.

Cheers.
Anders