Cannot enable UDMA on Optiarc AD-5170A

Hi,

This issue has been bugging me for a couple of days so I’m looking for some expert help. I’ll put it all down so that all the info is up front so sorry for the lengthy description…

I have been burning discs for a while now with my Optiarc AD-5170A without problems. I usually burn at 4x anyway, usually using ImgBurn or CloneDVD 2, but sometimes find higher speeds cause miscompare errors when verifying the burn - I had just put this down to the poor media I use (well, it’s cheap and I never really have problems playing the results in my DVD player!).

Anyway I recently bought a CPU on eBay, got some old server RAM from someone and bought a new hard drive to up my system performance and I’ve been trying to tweak the PC to get the best out of it (spec in my sig) - which led me to look at the transfer modes of my drives in Device Manager. Now, the chipset on my mobo is a VIA KT266A and should be capable of UDMA Mode 5/ATA100. However, to my surprise the Optiarc is running on Multi-word DMA Mode 2! Furthermore the HDD, which is capable of ATA133 is running in UDMA Mode 4/ATA66! And so to my first question…

1. Should I care? Will this transfer mode limit the speed at which I can burn discs? What are the advantages of running it in UDMA Mode X and what UDMA Mode should it run at?

The DVD issue is one thing however obviously I want to get the best out of my hard drive so I rooted around here and elsewhere and did a few things to try to enable higher transfer modes without any success.

[ul]
[li]Uninstalled the VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - rebooted[/li][li]Uninstalled the ASPI layer using ForceASPI - rebooted[/li][li]Played around with the BIOS settings - not many options really[/li][li]Changed the cables around (HDD to secondary master, DVD to primary master)[/li][li]Ran the Hitachi disc utility to check that UDMA 5 is enabled on the HDD - it is![/li][li]Installed a new 80 cable IDE connector for the DVD[/li][li]Ran resetdma.vbs - message advised “No resettable ATA channels with Windows drivers found”[/li][li]Set each drive to “PIO Only” mode - rebooted. Reset them to “DMA if available” - rebooted.[/ul]Incidentally my BIOS is flashed to the latest version. My next course of action may be to flash the drive but I don’t want to if I don’t have to and I can’t see how that would help. Alternatively are there any reg hacks to try? I’m a bit perplexed to say the least, so to my second question…[/li]
2. Have I missed anything obvious or, better still, have I missed anything really obscure???

All suggestions welcome.

[QUOTE=olip74;1946967]Hi,

This issue has been bugging me for a couple of days so I’m looking for some expert help. I’ll put it all down so that all the info is up front so sorry for the lengthy description…

I have been burning discs for a while now with my Optiarc AD-5170A without problems. I usually burn at 4x anyway, usually using ImgBurn or CloneDVD 2, but sometimes find higher speeds cause miscompare errors when verifying the burn - I had just put this down to the poor media I use (well, it’s cheap and I never really have problems playing the results in my DVD player!).

Anyway I recently bought a CPU on eBay, got some old server RAM from someone and bought a new hard drive to up my system performance and I’ve been trying to tweak the PC to get the best out of it (spec in my sig) - which led me to look at the transfer modes of my drives in Device Manager. Now, the chipset on my mobo is a VIA KT266A and should be capable of UDMA Mode 5/ATA100. However, to my surprise the Optiarc is running on Multi-word DMA Mode 2! Furthermore the HDD, which is capable of ATA133 is running in UDMA Mode 4/ATA66! And so to my first question…

[B]1. Should I care?[/B] Will this transfer mode limit the speed at which I can burn discs? What are the advantages of running it in UDMA Mode [I]X[/I] and what UDMA Mode should it run at?

The DVD issue is one thing however obviously I want to get the best out of my hard drive so I rooted around here and elsewhere and did a few things to try to enable higher transfer modes without any success.

[ul]
[li]Uninstalled the VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - rebooted
[/li][li]Uninstalled the ASPI layer using ForceASPI - rebooted
[/li][li]Played around with the BIOS settings - not many options really
[/li][li]Changed the cables around (HDD to secondary master, DVD to primary master)
[/li][li]Ran the Hitachi disc utility to check that UDMA 5 is enabled on the HDD - it is!
[/li][li]Installed a new 80 cable IDE connector for the DVD
[/li][li]Ran resetdma.vbs - message advised “No resettable ATA channels with Windows drivers found”
[/li][li]Set each drive to “PIO Only” mode - rebooted. Reset them to “DMA if available” - rebooted.[/ul]Incidentally my BIOS is flashed to the latest version. My next course of action may be to flash the drive but I don’t want to if I don’t have to and I can’t see how that would help. Alternatively are there any reg hacks to try? I’m a bit perplexed to say the least, so to my second question…
[/li]
[B] 2. Have I missed anything obvious or, better still, have I missed anything really obscure???[/B]

All suggestions welcome.[/QUOTE]

Try this one, because I have 2 & the other one says the same thing that you just said. :iagree:

jcusimano2 - Thanks for the tip, I ran the tool and it reset the values but no joy when I rebooted.

After that I updated the firmware on the DVD Drive to Liggy and Dee’s most recent version, which includes the RPC hack so worth doing anyway. However this didn’t alter the transfer mode.

I’m currently cycling through some VIA chipset driver versions in the hope that this may help - I’ve now tried the most recent Hyperion version (7.4.262.0) but no joy there either. Next I’m gonna roll back to 4.35 and work my way up.

A solution for the HDD may be to manually update the drive info in the BIOS (# of cylinders, heads, etc) so that’s next on the list. Then I’ll play around with the cables until I’ve exhausted all the alternatives.

It’s a pretty damn frustrating issue though! As a last resort, is it maybe worth running the recovery utility on the XP install disc? what will I end up losing?

As much as I hate to say it, I think I’m gonna have to give up, unless anyone has a genius suggestion. None of the fixes I’ve found elsewhere seem to work for me :sad:

Here’s a summary of what I’ve done since my first post:

[ul]
[li]Ran the second VB Script - Reset the values but no success
[/li][li]Manually hacked the reg with the same results
[/li][li]Flashed the DVD with L+D latest firmware
[/li][li]Tried three versions of the VIA IDE controller drivers
[/li][li]Changed over the cables on the drives
[/li][li]Put both drives on the Primary IDE (jumpers set appropriately of course!) - the only thing of note was that device manager showed “not applicable” for transfer mode when I selected “none” in the BIOS access mode but the drive worked OK
[/li][li]Disconnected the DVD entirely - HDD still shows UDMA 4
[/li][/ul] :rolleyes:

After 2 minutes of research I saw that setting the HDD settings manually was a non-starter. I’m not keen to reinstall Windows but if the automated recovery tool won’t mess up all my drivers etc then I may consider it - what’s the story there?

The only other thing I can think of that may be an issue is a hardware conflict or failure. I checked the RAM when I installed it - had to use Windows Memory Diagnostic as Memtest fell over but WMD reported no issues. Also the graphics card has DDR RAM I think - now I know nothing about GXF really but I assume the h/w of the card is all internal to the card itself and the it merely needs a driver to be able to talk to the bridge on the chipset right? i.e. there wouldn’t be a conflict between my system SDRAM and the DDR RAM on the GFX card? (or summat like that)

Didn’t exactly get an overwhelming response on this issue, but I think it’s important to write up a conclusion where one is available for other people with the same issue who come after.

I resolved this issue by upgrading my motherboard in the end (for £3 off eBay!), now got DMA 6 on HDD and DMA 4 on DVD Drive. I think the old mobo was a goner as it had some leaky capacitors - still not sure why this would have affected the IDE channels but maybe indicative of other problems, maybe to do with the voltages or the chipset.

If you are having the same issues and, like me, all other fixes fail, check the caps on your mobo. If the tops are not flat, but are bulging and/or caked with a browny discharge (‘vented’) or if they are not perpendicular to the board or have leaked underneath this might indicate a problem. Apparently Taiwanese boards from around the millenium are particularly prone - mine had GSC caps which I’ve seen fingered too.

Anyway all is now right as rain :cool: Well, apart from my wireless NIC which doesn’t want to play nice with the new hardware :rolleyes: - there’s always something!