Recently got this nice new NEC burner and soon discovered that it only burns things really slowly. The saga so far:
- installed drive in new PC, seemed to work ok
- burnt a DVD in NERO and it took ages
- discovered DMA wasn’t enabled, so enabled it in Device Management
- despite the above, DMA did not enable on this drive, no matter what I did. My second drive, an NEC DVD-ROM was working fine with DMA.
- not sure why DMA wasn’t working so downloaded the latest nforce4 drivers from nvidia for my fatal1ty mobo.
- Appeared to solve the problem, DMA now showing as enabled!!
- Now the drive won’t read any discs
- Tried to fix this by using the correct jumper settings. I chose cable select
- The drive now reads what’s on the disc (after a while) ie the contents, but it won’t read what’s ON the disc ie won’t play the song/open the file.
- I’ve updated the firmware to the latest 1.03 and had a look on google but there doesn’t seem to be a general problem.
- then I unistalled the latest IDE drivers and the drive was redetected.
- the drive now reads/writes discs again BUT DMA is once again NOT enabled!! ie we’re back where we started.
The drive is IDE Master on Channel 1 and it’s a Win XP system. I’ve swapped IDE cables, jumpers, tried it with the other drive installed and without.
My last hope is that it’s the actual nvidia IDE drivers that are duff and that drivers from somewhere else may solve the problem.
any suggestions gratefully received!!