Cannot dump Optiarc 7250H fw

vbimport

Hi,

it’s an Optiarc AD-7250H writer from a Dell (?) machine. NECWinFlash (1.60) couldn’t dump its firmware as this drive isn’t supported.

— Start of identification —
Version: 1.60
Normal : Optiarc - DVD±RW AD-7250H - 100A
Boot : Optiarc - DVD RW AD-7250H - 0001
|Sony Optiarc Inc. AD-7250H |
4732354147323541302E3032XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX7EFF0000
00000000000000000000000B000000000000000000000000000000003DXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
— End of identification —

some of the newer Optiarc drives are no longer owned by NEC as they’re acquired by Sony.
my aunt’s Dell Inspiron 580 desktop computer has the Optiarc 7250h drive and it seems that Dell hasn’t provided any firmware updates for it. unless Sony provides a reliable tool to “dump” the existing FW for the 7250H drive, there’s not much anyone can do right now but to continue using the drive with its current FW.

[QUOTE=noel-pcg91;2618489]some of the newer Optiarc drives are no longer owned by NEC as they’re acquired by Sony.[/QUOTE]

That’s got absolutely nothing to do with it! Sony Optiarc was born back in 2008 which in ODD terms means lots and lots of generations of Sony Optiarc drive releases, with the vast majority of them being supported by Binflash thanks to Liggy!

[QUOTE=noel-pcg91;2618489] unless Sony provides a reliable tool to “dump” the existing FW for the 7250H drive, there’s not much anyone can do right now but to continue using the drive with its current FW.[/QUOTE]

You don’t say! :doh: Maybe you ought to visit http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/ before making that sort of judgement :wink:

Besides, you’ll be far more likely to win the jackpot twice in a row and be hit by a meteorite as you cash your prize money, than Sony ever releasing a dump tool … therefore I would instead suggest that you have a little fate and patience and now that we have an identification file for this drive thanks to Joltee, wait for Liggy to add Binflash support for the AD-725x family (which incidentally is an AD-726x rebadge) when he’s got some spare time … :slight_smile:

You might also find interesting the last 4 posts in here: http://club.myce.com/f86/overview-different-nec-firmwares-96140/

If HP released a firmware for one member of the AD-725xH family, maybe DELL will also release an update sometime in the near future … if anything, DELL is much better than HP at releasing ODD firmware updates … so there’s still hope!

AD-725xH support is currently work in progress. I think I should manage to release version 1.61 tomorrow. I have already compiled the Windows version but still need to do the other operating systems, upload files and update the website. Perhaps I also find some more things to add before releasing the new version.

Updated Binflash version released - now with support for this drive

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Liggy:

Is it possible to crossflash the AD-7250H with the AD-7260S firmware ?

Could in theory be possible if also the bootcode of the 7260S is applied but this is untested and could potentially brick your drive. Also updating the bootcode is in most cases not officially supported by me although it is possible.

highly unlikely Dell & HP will release any firmware updates for the AD-725xH drives, dude (wow, I haven’t been here in ages).

besides, I have used the latest NECWinFlash GUI to dump/save the FW on the AD-7250H drive, which has version 100A. I recently made a BIN file for the AD-7250H drive in the Dell Inspiron 580 with NECWinFlash. Heck the Burn4Free firmwares site mentions different firmware versions of the AD-7250H:
http://burners.burn4free.com/sony-optiarc/optiarc-ad-7250h.htm

I’ll let Liggy know if he needs the version 100a BIN file for AD-7250H. Seems like 100a is OEM specific to Dell.

It is highly unlikely now, I agree… Without the benefit of hindsight, it wasn’t a highly unlikely possibility 5 years ago when I said it :givesmile:, but yes it did turn out that DELL did not release any firmware updates for this drive after all… :frown:

Also, since then, roles have rather reversed, with HP being actually much better nowadays at releasing ODD firmware updates compared to DELL whom in the past few years have been almost hopeless when it comes to releasing ODD firmware updates. To put that in context however, it is unfortunately also the case that ODD firmware updates are fewer and more far between nowadays, more or less across the board, and in particular for the OEM ones.

Welcome back, by the way :givesmile:

yea I had been waiting for years for Dell to release any AD725xH firmware updates and they never did. I guess Dell did not want to make any improvements to their AD725xH drives.

I did find a Lenovo version of the AD-7250H drive listed on this eBay page [Lenovo FRU no. 71Y5545]. It came with firmware version 1.D2.

There were also AD-7250H drives pre-installed in some Fujitsu Celsius workstation PCs which had firmware version 1.81 (part no NEC:AD-7250H-BL) - the Celsius W380 in particular had such DVD drive. Those Fujitsu computers with their version of the AD725xH drives were definitely not sold in my region.

There were also AD-7250H5 drives found in some HP computers but I didn’t find any FW updates from the HP web site.

But anyways I’ve ordered an AD-7251H drive for my old HP computer to replace the worn down DH-16A1L drive. At least HP has a firmware update for the AD-7251H drive available.