Cannot copy large files to my External Hard-drive

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Western digital My Book Home Edition, 500 GB. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey,

I’ve been using my external hard-drive for a while now and I keep running into the same problem.

Everytime I try to copy large files I get an error message telling me that the external hard-drive is full and that there is not enough disk space. However, in My Computer the hard-drive has 292GB of free space and I know I’ve not filled the thing up.

I’m trying to copy some raw footage in a file that is about 9GB in size.

What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Some more detailed information:

Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500GB
Connected to the computer using a Firewire card and cable (I used the card to get the raw footage onto the computer from the camcorder in the first place, so I’m almost 100% sure it’s not that)
The File System is FAT32 (whatever that means)

I’d appreciate any help I can get really, I need to get a lot of footage onto this drive and I can’t because of this problem.

Thanks

Matt

Fat32 file system does not have support for files larger than 4gb.

You would have to reformat the drive to NTFS (wiping out all data on it), to put larger files in it.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The cause of this problem indeed is that HDD is formatted in FAT32 (you can read more about FAT32 here). You must convert it in NTFS to write so large files :slight_smile:

To convert it in NTFS you can use the command prompt and the command

convert volume: /FS:NTFS

where “volume” is the letter assigned to the HDD :slight_smile:

Even if the procedure is safe, it is better to make a backup of all important data first :slight_smile:

EDIT: :doh: Kerry was faster :bigsmile:

Welcome to the forum Matt :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2408374]Fat32 file system does not have support for files larger than 4gb.

You would have to reformat the drive to NTFS (wiping out all data on it), to put larger files in it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same as I came across with my own external HDD (after I’d already copied a bunch of stuff to it :doh: ). :iagree:

I just did a quick format to NTFS in Explorer though as I wasn’t gonna sit through a full format of a 1TB drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2408381]…as I wasn’t gonna sit through a full format of a 1TB drive. :p[/QUOTE]

You lazy

So is there any way to reformat it without losing the data already on the drive?

Not that I know of; fastest solution is to copy everything back to your internal HDD then reformat the external in NTFS and copy it back.

Sláinte

midders
P.S. although you can do a quick format (like lazy arachne :wink: ) a full format checks the disk surface for errors and is a good idea with a new drive.

[QUOTE=hixee;2408384]So is there any way to reformat it without losing the data already on the drive?[/QUOTE]

Yes: use the command “convert” :slight_smile:

Here are the step by step instructions for conversion: http://www.tech-faq.com/convert-fat32-to-ntfs.shtml

I’ve never done this however, and would rather backup important data to disks, then reformat.

and that is guaranteed not to lose the data or is it more of a luck thing?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2408391]Here are the step by step instructions for conversion: http://www.tech-faq.com/convert-fat32-to-ntfs.shtml

I’ve never done this however, and would rather backup important data to disks, then reformat.[/QUOTE] :iagree:

Thanks for the info; as you infer you won’t save much time unless you’re willing to just risk your data and go for it!

Sláinte

midders

[QUOTE=hixee;2408392]and that is guaranteed not to lose the data or is it more of a luck thing?[/QUOTE]

As the instructions imply, this process is not guaranteed. They recommend backing up before trying this, so if you are going to the trouble of copying all the info elsewhere anyway, you might as well take the safe route of reformatting and reinstalling the data.

[QUOTE=hixee;2408392]and that is guaranteed not to lose the data or is it more of a luck thing?[/QUOTE]

Nothing is ever guaranteed especially when it relates to PCs.

I’ve done it several times and it has always worked for me but no two systems are the same.

So if it’s important data back it up first.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=geno888;2408383]You lazy [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=midders;2408385]
P.S. although you can do a quick format (like lazy arachne :wink: )[/QUOTE]

I knew that was coming :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

Yeah, if you have somewhere to back your existing stuff up first, go with conversion. I’ve never converted file systems (always formatted to the required file system), so I’d be inclined to back my stuff up first. But maybe I’m too careful :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2408403]Yeah, if you have somewhere to back your existing stuff up first, go with conversion. I’ve never converted file systems (always formatted to the required file system), so I’d be inclined to back my stuff up first. But maybe I’m too careful ;)[/QUOTE]

Nope just wise. :flower:

I know this sounds a bit pessimistic but as far as computers go you’re ALWAYS best assuming the worst. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2408418]Nope just wise. :flower:

I know this sounds a bit pessimistic but as far as computers go you’re ALWAYS best assuming the worst. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)…even family members think I’m a bit…over-zealous on the backup front, hehe.

I actually agree with you about assuming the worst with computers - I also think nothing is guaranteed where computers are concerned - although mine behave themselves pretty well, they also seem to have minds of their own (and I’ve certainly lost my fair share of precious data!) :wink:

Let’s hope Matt has a bit of space left on his internal drive to back up his own stuff :iagree:

Maybe is solution that you first cut file into smaller segments. And then copy.

Like some big files on torrent are cuted into many zip files…