Cannot convert video files to be compatible with ipod touch

vbimport

ok so instead of going off about how pathetic the ipod touch turned out to be in terms of how difficult it is to get files sync’d on the unit to never being able to move files freely from one folder to the other without jumping through constant hoops, i’ll just explain my problem.

i found out that only h.264 movie files would be able to be watched on my ipod touch, so i proceeded to find a converter that would solve this problem. after trying about 8 or 9 different converters (movavi, handbrake, videora, and a bunch of others) every single time i would get an error saying it could not be converted.

the actual videos themselves are .avi, and they all play just fine on my computer. along with this i found out that i could convert the .avi files into anything else just fine with all the programs, but when i tried to convert it to mpeg4 that would be compatible with the ipod touch specifically, an error would pop up saying it failed.

i have windows 7 currently, so would this be the problem? it seems strange that every converter program i use seems to fail in the end :a

nobody knows?? there has to be something other than the converter program that is not letting me do this.

there has to be something other than the converter program that is not letting me do this.

Well tony, since I own no players that start with ‘i’, I may not be the best resource, but here goes.

Do you have a video that currently plays on this iThingy? If so, drop it on gSpotor Media Info. These programs will tell you the exact settings (codec, size, container, aspect ratio, etc.) that ‘i’ needs. You can also use them to see if there’s a problem with your source file. Just because they play doesn’t mean they’re not corrupted.

Since I don’t know which converters, other than

8 or 9 different converters (movavi, handbrake, videora, and a bunch of others)
I hesitate to recommend yet another. But since AVIDeMux is free, it might be worth a shot.

Cool thanks, i’ll give it a shot. Its frustrating that i cant just play an .avi file on it, but what basically happens is i drag the file into my ipod folder and nothing happens. Just imagine trying to drag a file on your desktop into the recycle bin but it doesnt end up in there at all, it just stays where it was from the start- thats what happens.

When i convert it to mp4 i can successfully drag the file and put it in my ipod, but it wont play it because its not an “h.264” converted mp4. I can’t believe they had to make it so complicated and difficult, but obviously i need to find an alternative way to convert these files. Anyways i’ll keep you guys updated on how it goes

I used TuneBite to convert a Itunes formatted Movie and it worked excellent for my needs.