Cannot burn

hi, can anyone help???
i have nero 6.6 oem suite which up until a few weeks ago was working fine! now i cant burn a thing…! i am able to go through all the set up to burn like adding video files, creating menus etc but when i am on the final page and am asked to select a recording device i now have only one choice which is image recorder. i used to have the choice of image recorder or atapi dvd a dh20a4p. the atapi one was the one that used to work when burning to disc but it has vanished and nothing will burn to disc now… where has it gone and how can i get it back? the atapi dvd a dh20a4p is still in my device manager and says its working properly, ive even uninstalled it and restarted pc so windows reinstalls it again but still no joy in nero. plz plz plz someone help…:sad:

Have you tried uninstalling Nero, using the Nero Clean tool, then reinstalling the program? Make sure to have your serial number handy.

Nero 6 clean tool: http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero6-tools-utilities.html

yes, i have the general clean tool from nero and still it wont work. nero just will not recognise atapi dvd a dh20a4p as a recording device…:sad:

Well, lets see if this is a Nero problem or a hardware problem.

Download ImgBurn, which is a free burning program. www.imgburn.com

Now try a simple data burn to a dvd. (this will waste a dvd, but we need to test the drive). If you get errors, post the log file from ImgBurn, which is easily found by clicking Help in the program.

I 17:03:23 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!
I 17:03:23 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)
I 17:03:23 Total Physical Memory: 1,046,636 KB - Available: 534,704 KB
I 17:03:23 Initialising SPTI…
I 17:03:23 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
E 17:03:26 CreateFile Failed! - Device: ‘\.\CdRom0’ (D:)
E 17:03:26 Reason: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded.
W 17:03:26 Errors were encountered when trying to access a drive.
W 17:03:26 This drive will not be visible in the program.
W 17:03:26 No devices detected!

hello again,
never even got the chance to waste a disc, this error log popped up immediately on opening imgburn… :sad:

Looking at the ImgBurn site for similar entries, and I found these: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=9862

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=10038

It seems you may have a virus/rootkit infection. Run your antivirus program of choice, there are some free alternatives, like Malwarebytes, Antivir and Avast.

scanned pc with anti virus it found 4 threats, trojan horse agents. when it came to the removal it said they could not be removed or healed as they were on a non local drive… what ever that means???
does this mean i will never burn again? :confused:

Download & install Malwarebytes, make sure you update it. If you have to boot into safe mode & run the quick scan first, take care of whatever it finds, then run the full scan. It is free.

http://malwarebytes.org/

no, this dont work either… im at a total loss now! my atapi dvd a dh20a4p will not burn. nero does not recognise it as a recorder and other programs i have tried say ‘no cd-rom drives found’. ive even tried to erase a rw disc and the message i get is ‘no recorder available…’:sad::confused:

Sometimes with virus infections the best solution is to wipe the hard drive and start over. You would need either a restore disk or a copy of the operating system.

And you would have to save any data you need on the hard drive. Doing this without a cd/dvd drive is not fun, but can be done to flash drives or onto a separate hard drive. You would have to run virus sweeps on any data you retain.

however, i have noticed that every time i uninstall nero, then use the general clean tool, then restart and reinstall nero that it does find the atapi thingy briefly, but as soon as i try to use it it disappears again??? dont know if thats any help to anyone who may be able to help me? :confused:

[QUOTE=mnemosyne;2292103]I 17:03:23 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!
I 17:03:23 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)
I 17:03:23 Total Physical Memory: 1,046,636 KB - Available: 534,704 KB
I 17:03:23 Initialising SPTI…
I 17:03:23 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
E 17:03:26 CreateFile Failed! - Device: ‘\.\CdRom0’ (D:)
E 17:03:26 Reason: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded.
W 17:03:26 Errors were encountered when trying to access a drive.
W 17:03:26 This drive will not be visible in the program.
W 17:03:26 No devices detected!

hello again,
never even got the chance to waste a disc, this error log popped up immediately on opening imgburn… :sad:[/QUOTE]
You have a nasty rootkit infection.

how do i remove rootkit infections??? plz:confused:
my anti virus found problems but could not heal or remove, and my spyware adware tools dont seem to find anything nasty.

Did you follow the instructions in the link?
Did you set your anti-virus to do a boot scan?
Read the instructions carefully.

i have avg free anti virus. how do i set it to run a boot scan? :confused:

Follow the instructions.
The menu can also set the boot scan.

Click on the Menu button.
Choose Schedule Boot Time Scan.
Doing so displays a dialog allowing you to schedule virus scanning.
Check Archives, if you want scan all the archives.
Specify whether all the disks or just a specific folder should be scanned.
Select Advanced options for scheduling details.
Select how to automatically process infected files.
Choose how to automatically process infected system files.
Click the Schedule button to confirm the settings.

[QUOTE=mnemosyne;2292223]how do i remove rootkit infections??? [/QUOTE]The only way to clean a compromised system is to Flatten and rebuild:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

Michael

:slight_smile: hi guys,
ive fixed it! yippee!!! i downloaded program called ‘unhackme’ and it found the rootkit problem immediately and fixed it, great program, would highly recommend!
anyway a huge, huge thank you to those who posted me messages trying to help. if yous didnt put me on the right path i would have never found ‘unhackme’. you are stars, thanks xxx :bow:

Now for the important part.

Your browsing and downloading habits need to change!
Your next infection could be much worse.

i know… ive enabled all browser security things, safe search filters etc and before i download now i check everything with anti virus. glad to be up and running again, like you said, it could have been worse :iagree: