Cannot burn DVDs

I have a Lite-On LH-20A1P burner in my PC, which is supposed to support writing most writable DVD formats (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW). This is the first time I’ve ever tried to burn a DVD, but have had the system for a couple of years.

I’m trying to burn a file onto a Sony DVD+R disk (disk shows “DVD+R Ver.1.3/1x-16x” on the inner circle if it matters) and no matter what I do am unable to. Using Nero 7, I’m simply told there is no disk inserted. I flashed the drive to update the firmware, and I updated Nero to the latest version 7 update, but still am unable to burn a disk. I’ve seen several other posts on this site with the same messages/issue, but none of the solutions I’ve seen have worked for me.

When I go into Disk Info in Nero 7 it shows the drive properly. All the data at the top is blank, and the middle section says “No disk inserted or drive not ready, please try again”.

I don’t burn a lot of disks so I don’t have a deep understanding of the intricacies of all this. I just needed to update my BluRay player firmware and have been jumping through hoops trying to get the firmware onto a disk for the last couple days. Hoping someone might have some clues as to why the drive won’t allow me to burn DVDs.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If the drive is not able to recognize blank media, then probably it is damaged. Or it can be dirty.

Is the drive able to recognize pressed discs?

Can you try that drive on a different computer?

[QUOTE=geno888;2472592]Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If the drive is not able to recognize blank media, then probably it is damaged. Or it can be dirty.

Is the drive able to recognize pressed discs?

Can you try that drive on a different computer?[/QUOTE]

Just an odd observation I’ll note - I have a similar drive (device manager says HT-DL something) in my other PC here and it suffers the same problem.

I am able to put in pressed disks and play them fine, yes. I am also able to put in burnt CDs and play them fine. Unfortunately, I do not have any blank CDs to test writing a CD at the moment. I’ll probably need to go out and get some (which would actually resolve my problem, assuming the CD burning still works, since this file can fit onto a blank CD and CD is supported by the bluray player for firmware updates).

I’ll prob try to pick up some blank CD’s before I move the drive to my other system. I went into software development/scripting because I dislike messing with the hardware. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the idea though. If burning to CD fails I’ll give it a shot. Just curious why the computer has decided I’m not worthy of DVD burning.

I have too a liteon 20A1p and sometimes it is behaving crazy too :bigsmile:

Try a different burning program and see if that helps. ImgBurn is well respected around here and is free to use. www.imgburn.com