Cannot burn CDS!

Hi everyone!
I am at my wits end!! I cannot burn a CD using either Windows Media Player or Itunes!! What should be a relatively easy thing to do; I have literally spent hours trying to make a CD. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my drive, since I can put in prerecorded CDs and they play and eject just fine.
This is what’s happening: I go through all the correct motions and follow all the instructions, but as soon as I hit “burn files to disc”, the little bar starts to move and has gotten up to 5%, 20% and 35% at several different attempts and then stops recording (like goes into a loop). At this point I can neither shut the program off, or eject a disk; I have to manually unplug the computer from the back and restart. Once it restarts, THEN it will eject the disc. When I put the same disk in again, it brings up the screen as if it were a blank CD, so I know nothing was recorded at all. I also get error messages when it gets stuck. Can someone please help me here? Thank you!!

Hello SheilaJ,

Welcome to the forums.

Couple of questions:

Model brand and typenumber of the writer?
Which operating system?
Are you willing to test the writer with some other programs/tools?
Does it go wrong with all kinds of recordable discs? Can you test some other brand of discs?

And another question…

Has this drive ever successfully burned a CD before? (I’m not going to ask if you have.)

As for “nothing was recorded at all” comment, the Recording Process has a “Now I’m starting” command and a “Now I’m finished” commend.

Every CD-DVD-BluRay player in the world MUST see those two commands. First. If they don’t see both, then they refuse to examine any other actually-burned bits and bytes. The burning laser can etch in 5%, 20% even 99% of my files onto a disk, but if the “Now I’m finished” command isn’t burned in, then none of that matters - no Player will acknowledge even the teeniest percentage has been ‘burned’. Great, huh?

Yeah… kinda like bridge-building. Half-built, even 99% built bridges don’t mean diddly - they gotta go all the way across… this is why I kindly let Hubby walk across logs stretched across the creek first. “No no, no ‘ladies first’ necessary…”

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2685877]Hello SheilaJ,

Welcome to the forums.

Couple of questions:

Model brand and typenumber of the writer?
Which operating system?
Are you willing to test the writer with some other programs/tools?
Does it go wrong with all kinds of recordable discs? Can you test some other brand of discs?[/QUOTE]

I have Windows 7 on a Dell computer. I have made oter discs, but that was using Photo Story and Windows Movie Maker. I have also made music discs, but it was over a year ago (the music discs) I’m sorry…I’m not sure what you are asking me regarding the typenumber of the writer? What is that?
I als put in a re-recorded disc and it played just fine and also ejected just fine, so I don’t think it’s the drive.

Hi Christine,
I have burned CDs before and no, I have NEVER seen either of the commands that you menitoned. I am using Windows 7 on a Dell computer. Usually when it was finished burning, it would just eject.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2685879]And another question…

Has this drive ever successfully burned a CD before? (I’m not going to ask if you have.)

As for “nothing was recorded at all” comment, the Recording Process has a “Now I’m starting” command and a “Now I’m finished” commend.

Every CD-DVD-BluRay player in the world MUST see those two commands. First. If they don’t see both, then they refuse to examine any other actually-burned bits and bytes. The burning laser can etch in 5%, 20% even 99% of my files onto a disk, but if the “Now I’m finished” command isn’t burned in, then none of that matters - no Player will acknowledge even the teeniest percentage has been ‘burned’. Great, huh?

Yeah… kinda like bridge-building. Half-built, even 99% built bridges don’t mean diddly - they gotta go all the way across… this is why I kindly let Hubby walk across logs stretched across the creek first. “No no, no ‘ladies first’ necessary…”[/QUOTE]

I don’t have iTunes but I’ve read it has caused burning problems for some computers or OS’s.
What type of CD are you trying to burn/
Audio or data ?

For Christines’s post you would never see those commands yourself.
They just have to be sent to & received by the drive.

I recommend a test with ImgBurn . Instructions depend on the type burn you are attempting.

For some strange reason, burning programs tend to default to aws, auto write speed and most of the time, that speed is the max speed possible…which is a bad thing.

I would check, regardless of program used and set the write speed to a moderate level.

[QUOTE=SheilaJ;2685916]I have Windows 7 on a Dell computer. I have made oter discs, but that was using Photo Story and Windows Movie Maker. I have also made music discs, but it was over a year ago (the music discs) I’m sorry…I’m not sure what you are asking me regarding the typenumber of the writer? What is that?
I als put in a re-recorded disc and it played just fine and also ejected just fine, so I don’t think it’s the drive.[/QUOTE]

Hey there.

Thanks for the answers.

I am going to assume a few things. Please respond if some things are wrongly assumed:

• You use the standard Windows 7 programs and tools to write the media.
  • You can write cd-rw without problems. They all work
  • You cannot write cd-r’s (recordables). These will all fail.

Are you able to purchase new cd-recordable media of another brand? Perhaps it’s just something wrong with your current media.

[QUOTE=SheilaJ;2685876]Hi everyone!
I am at my wits end!! I cannot burn a CD using either Windows Media Player or Itunes!! What should be a relatively easy thing to do; I have literally spent hours trying to make a CD. [/QUOTE]

YOU shall not use such mediocre tools to burn anything on any media!

Get Imgburn or any FREE burnapp and use them.
If they fail, copy the whole logfile into your post and we can have a closer look at it.

Good Luck!