Cannot boot from temporary hard drive

my pc has sata hd connection. I backed up on a pata slave with the dvd ribbon, but now my sata is going down big style, i disconnected the pata
made the sata master but cannot boot up with windows 7. it does not recognise a dvd boot in the bios.

oops getting sata and pata mixed up the pata is now on master and sata disconnected.

That’s a pretty confusing description, there.

I wonder which of these drives was The Boot Drive before some “big style” occurred. (Not too sure I’d worry about fashion consciousness at this time - little style, big styles, '60s styles, retro… so what? Fashion always changes.)

I wonder what BIOS Setup recognizes or indicates? Does it see these drives - PATA-IDE, or SATA? That’s going to answer Question 1 - what does BIOS Setup see?

If the BIOS Setup doesn’t see drive(s), then the drive may not be functioning. Can this be tested by you on a 2nd PC?

Are there other SATA ports on your motherboard? (It’s likelier to have a Dead Drive than a single dead SATA port but, statistically, those have to fail somewhere, sometime.)

From the brief and confusing description, the quantity of assumptions needed is too vast. This seems to be a Desktop PC, since it has IDE connectors and SATA connectors, but I can only assume. Can you change BIOS SETUP routine to change Boot Devices from 1st-Boot to 2nd? I assume you’re comfortable with BIOS Setup. Do other SATA ports also give the same ‘big style downtime’ (???) for this SATA drive? I assume you have connected the SATA drive from one SATA connector to another, but ?? just too many assumptions.

(If you’d like to use “IDE” instead of “PATA”, this way there can be NO MISTAKING a typo’d 'S’ATA spelling for a 'P’ATA spelling.)

yep i confused myself. the hard drive boot was/is on the sata connected hard drive, it recognises the dvd in bios with this but not on the pata back up drive!!!. There are 4 sata ports which all work but then after 10 mins the hard drive shuts down but not after telling me a few times that there is a problem with the hard drive. the dvd is working. I am comfortable in bios to change boot sequence but it is not giving me the options.

From the first description of “backed up to PATA as Slave on Ribbon”, I assume you know about the hard-drive’s MASTER-SLAVE jumpers, yes?

There are usually three choices - [B]MA[/B]ster, [B]SL[/B]ave and [B]CS[/B] or “Cable Select” - which in A Perfect World, would be the Always-Choice and then allow the Cable’s Connector dictate if the device was Master or Slave to some other IDE device. But “CS” hasn’t always worked with all drives, all motherboards or all cables, so I prefer hard-setting the jumper to Master or Slave, and then using that correct IDE-cable connector. (The end-connector is the Master - the ‘inner’ connector is the Slave - just to re-state this for clarity.)

So, from that first post, it seems the BIOS and Windows recognized an IDE drive was installed for some Backup Uses.

Next…

Have you tried switching SATA connections on the motherboard? If you’ve got 4 SATA connectors, they’re probably numbered 0, 1, 2 and 3. You may have used Zero as the first one, but your BIOS will probably merrily accept any of those as your Boot Device.

Assuming you’ve done this, but are still getting drive errors after a few minutes, then you might check your Windows Control Panel and see what kind of POWER SETTINGS you’ve got.

If this is a Desktop Computer, I’d leave HARD DRIVE POWER to an “Always On” choice. If the hard-drive is a modern “green” drive, it will have some power-minimizing smarts of its own, and should keep funneling “I’m still avaiable!” messages to Windows, even in a lowered-power condition of its own.

I much more trust devices to power themselves up and down rather than pretending Windows Programmers know every device in the history of computers.

So I leave Windows Power Settings to ALWAYS ON and let devices generate their own messages. Otherwise, I think I’m always asking for cross-pointed fingers - “It’s the OTHER’s fault! I’m fine - IT’S bad!!”

If you’ve got a 2nd PC, you might detach this suspicious hard-drive and connect it as a secondary drive to that other PC.

Sometimes, I’ve used those little USB-to-IDE/SATA connector kits to do this, so I don’t even have to open up the second PC. Or I could use a notebook, too, for that matter.

I’d be looking to ‘prove’ the hard drive’s working condition - “Does it generate flakely errors on another device?”

If the flakey behavior goes wherever this hard-drive goes, then you have your answer - “time for a replacement drive.”

If the behavior is with that one Windows Machine, then it’s probably a Setting - such as POWER.

Or perhaps it could be a power-supply ready to die. (That’s a very VERY remote possibility, but if the Drive works fine when attached to another computer, and my Windows Settings seemed to be fine, then I’d probably replace the power-supply as my Next Guess. It’s relatively easy to do… RELATIVELY. cough cough.)

If you write back with a precise description of a brand-name computer and its model, then I’ll understand “replacing power supply” will not be an easy option because some are quite proprietary and thus far more expensive than ‘standard’ power supplies.

I am going to have a look when I get in from work

One other note about “confusion” - the title of this thread was modified but we may not understand what you’re trying to do.

“Backing up to second drive” - I have a feeling you’re trying to replace your SATA hard drive with this older IDE, and IF you’re trying a “Replace” function as opposed to “backing up data”, then we usually start talking about “cloning one drive to another”.

Plain “copy-ing” from a Boot Drive to a backup hard-drive won’t create a bootable drive by itself. There are Clone Software packages that can do this, but even then, there are ‘rules’ like “The Target Drive needs to be At Least As Big As Original Drive”.

Maybe we need to discuss your intent a bit more specifically, too, therefore.

Some motherboards are very forgiving about having a SATA system drive attached to any connection… presuming that nothing is connected to any lower numbered channel.

My motherboard an Asus IPIBL-TX (HP-Burbank d5000T desktop)
and is running off of SATA-2 for the SSD system drive.
SATA-1 is not connected to anything because the SATA jack
for #1 is physically broken, but it was still “twitchy” about getting that one working.

I have an older Asus MoBo that while it has SATA jacks on it I have never gotten
that motherboard to recognize a SATA drive as a boot device.
I’ve also never gotten it to recognize a SATA optical drive.

It will recognize SATA drives as storage devices, but…
I’d worry about the problem, but on an old Socket-478 motherboard it is so far down my list of proirities…

yippeee thanks christineBCW the cable select feature which I have never had cause to use before has done what I wanted, which was to make my older IDEs working now that the sata has stopped. Its now loading my windows onto the smaller one and I can basically get the system running again more than functionally with the hardware/software I already have.

also thanks to myce and other contributor, as I had considered the hammer option.

CableSelect is still preferred by many Dell puters…never understood why they did choose that lame verify. :frowning: