Cannot boot from CD/DVD: Code 5 Error (German Software)

vbimport

I recently built a machine for my fiance’s father who lives in Germany. I was able to get my hands on a German copy of Windows XP and I have been unsuccessful in trying to boot it. When I start up the system it goes through it’s normal testing and gets to the screen where it says “Boot from CD/DVD” and then immediately returns with “Cannot boot from CD/DVD: Code 5 error”. I have tried burning multiple copies using Nero and doing so as both a simple image and a bootable disc using no emulation, load segment sectors 07C0 and 0000, with number of load sectors 4,…all to no avail.

When I try using a standard “English” version of Windows XP it boots fine, continuing to the normal “Press any key to boot from CD…”. When I burn the .iso in Nero as a typical image I get the above error (Code 5), but when I burn it using Nero as a “bootable” iso, it just hangs at “Boot from CD/DVD” and I hear the CD drive spin out. So I can tell it’s doing nothing…

I live in the US and purchased all the hardware through Newegg. The copy I’m using is Windows XP SP3 German on a normal CD-Rom not (DVD), so I don’t think Region Code restrictions on the drive itself would be an issue…but I could be wrong. If anyone can lend me assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

CD-ROM Hardware below:

LITE-ON iHAS120-04 DVD+R Burner

Hi,

some additional questions:
The WinXP German disc is an original CD?
If you create a plain copy of your English WinXP disc (not fiddling with some images), does this work?

Michael
btw this problem is not firmware related at all.
and posting the same is not compliant with the rules you accepted upon registering :cop:

Michael,

No the German copy is not an original. It was given to me by a friend via external HD as an ISO image.

The English version of Windows is also a copy, lent to me. But again, just to reiterate, this one works fine without issue. I do have a retail copy I was going to try, but haven’t just yet. I assumed since the copied version (English) worked fine, the retail would as well.

And I apologize for posting the same, but I was pretty torn between the German forum and here as there was German software involved.

Andy

[quote=atelles;2087646]Michael,

No the German copy is not an original. It was given to me by a friend via external HD as an ISO image.[/quote]Ah, ok.

"[B]The rules:[/B] [I]We do not allow, nor condone any messages containing:[/I]

[ul]
li[/li][li]Requests for downloads of anything that is not freeware, shareware, trial versions or copyright-free material (hence, no ISOs, Warez or MP3s that are protected by copyright). Any references to such activities will also lead to deletion of the topic;" [/li][/ul]
Sorry, no further help here. :cop:

[quote=atelles;2087646]
And I apologize for posting the same, but I was pretty torn between the German forum and here as there was German software involved.[/quote]It would have been okay if you posted in German language there :wink:

Michael