Cannot backup to dvd drive

vbimport

I’m trying to do a system backup to a DVD+RW disc on my laptop using a Sony DVD+RW DW-Q58A

I’m running Windows XP. I am using the system backup facility and attempting to save to dvd. The DVD drive changes to CD drive when I insert the blank DVD disc.

I’m getting the following message…

The back up file could not be used “D:/backup.bkf”
Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access

The drivers are up to date.

Can anyone shed any light on what’s going on?

Many thanks
Sue

[QUOTE=sstandley;2456886]I’m trying to do a system backup to a DVD+RW disc on my laptop using a Sony DVD+RW DW-Q58A

I’m running Windows XP. I am using the system backup facility and attempting to save to dvd. The DVD drive changes to CD drive when I insert the blank DVD disc.

I’m getting the following message…

The back up file could not be used "D:/backup.bkf"
Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access

The drivers are up to date.

Can anyone shed any light on what’s going on?

Many thanks
Sue[/QUOTE]

So is that the default save name?? What blank media are you using? Also it’s not advise to use RW but R media for storage. Is that burner the laptop burner or addon burner?? Can you be more clear as to what you mean system backup? Are you making a system recovery cd or backing up data files?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2456915]So is that the default save name?? [/QUOTE]
Yes, it is the default save name.

What blank media are you using?

Phillips DVD+RW

Also it’s not advise to use RW but R media for storage. Is that burner the laptop burner or addon burner??

Laptop burner

Can you be more clear as to what you mean system backup? Are you making a system recovery cd or backing up data files?

Backing up data files…

Many thanks

What burning program are you using? XP does not have native capability to burn to dvds, only cds.

If you need a burning program, I’d suggest ImgBurn, which is a highly respected free program. You can find it here: www.imgburn.com

I didn’t realise that… I downloaded the software and it worked…Many thanks Kerry56.