Can'd burn with Nero on Windows XP

HI, I;m having problems burning CD’s using Nero on Windows XP. I keep getting ‘Write error’ ‘SCSI target error’ etc, shortly into the burn process.

I have a Ricoh MP9060 drive and I have updated to the latest firmware 1.90. The drive IS XP compatible.

I’m using Nero 5.5.9.0.

I have disable the Windows XP MAPI service and I have also downloaded the latest Adaptec ASPI files.

The drive is OK for reading, playing music and DVDs, but won’t burn - even at 1x speed. This is even after passing the simulation at the maximum speed for the drive (6x).

If anyone can think of what I can try next, I’d really appreciate it.

The drive is on IDE Secondary Master.

Hope someone can help !!
:slight_smile:

did you right click on your writer and choose properties > recording and un check enable recording to this drive? after you disabled the imapi service?

Yep ! done that too…

www.adaptec.com get aspi layer

Nero has its own ASPI layer and doesn’t need an extra installed layer. I’m running Windows XP without any installed ASPI layer. Nero works just fine without it (is uses the WNASPI32.DLL file). cadmiester can you give us some more information on installed software and hardware set-up. Anything that could be important. Does your drive work ok with other burning software like CloneCD?

This also may sound very weird , but try some different media , other cd-r’s , or even better , a cd-rw. (Saves a lot of coasters).

Occasionaly writers can have some “hiccups” with bad cd media.

I have also downloaded the latest Adaptec ASPI files.

Originally posted by 2ndsign
www.adaptec.com get aspi layer

Again, great help 2ndsign…

Thanks for you help, guys.

First, I tried the XP built in writing, but that didn’t work for me either.

According to the Ricoh website, another thing to try is updating the Bus Master controller drivers. So, I uninstalled Nero, downloaded & installed the 4in1 drivers from VIA, rebooted, installed Nero, rebooted, put in my best quality CD-R and WOW! it wrote successfully at maximum speed(6x) !!! :smiley: :smiley:

Flushed with success I tried lesser quality CD’s - all failed, even at 1x. Now they’re not the best quality, but I’ve used them successfully in the past on the same PC and drive, but under Windows ME.

Would cleaning the drive be advisable ? If so, whats the best way to do it ?

thanks again.

Originally posted by cadmiester
…and I have also downloaded the latest Adaptec ASPI files.
This is a shame, because, as GF points out, and PaRaDoX can affirm, you only need ahead’s wnaspi32.dll in the system folder. Why the 4in1’s made any difference I can only speculate and that, of course, is DMA. I am guessing that your UDMA disks were running in MultiWord Mode and the VIA installer ‘forced’ them into UDMA (or Ultra ATA) Mode :wink:

my friend had a similar problem on xp.he was using nero and everything was fineon ME.it wasn’t until he upgraded to xp then he had all kinds of problems burning disc ,corrupt files and then the drives opening and closing.i recommened forceaspi(aspi layer)
well that didnt work.his computer would reboot on burns on top of all types of weird activity .then he finally install the latest aspi layer from www.adaptec.com and he’s had no problems since then with xp.dont know if it will fix your problem but worth a try.i know i harp on aspi layer alot but they help:D
good luck:bigsmile:

my friend had a similar problem on xp.he was using nero and everything was fineon ME.it wasn’t until he upgraded to xp then he had all kinds of problems burning disc ,corrupt files and then the drives opening and closing.i recommened forceaspi(aspi layer)
well that didnt work.his computer would reboot on burns on top of all types of weird activity .

that would have more likely been from upgrading from win me tp xp a clean install is always the way to go. especially from win me.

then he finally install the latest aspi layer from www.adaptec.com and he’s had no problems since then with xp.dont know if it will fix your problem but worth a try.i know i harp on aspi layer alot but they help

there’s that aspi answer again as you have beentold many times and you should know nero uses its own aspi layer

he did do a clean install.and yes nero does have its own aspi layer but it didnt work until he download the latest aspi layer.it was just that .i’ve installed nero before and it given me aspi errors and then i install an aspi layer it works fine.you guys want to knock me about saying it all the time.xp with some burners that dont work until you install the latest aspi layer.
just give it a try:cool: :stuck_out_tongue:

2ndsign: You haven’t read cadmiester’s posting :frowning:

Cadmiester told: “and I have also downloaded the latest Adaptec ASPI files.”

So why do you tell him to get the latest Adaptec ASPI? :confused:

sorry !i’ll shut up for a while guys:o :confused:
:bow: :bow: :cop:

OK, it seems my “success” was short lived. I seem to be back at square one again - all my writes are failing.

So, has anyone got any ideas about what else I can try?? :a

I have two HDD - both running on ULTRA DMA Mode 4. They are IDE primary master and slave.

The CD writer is on Secondary master and running at Multi Word DMA Mode 2

I don’t know much about these things - does that look OK? What other relevant information can I give?

I’m really running out of ideas on this. Any help very much appreciated !!