Canadians have little to fear from downloading music

I just posted the article Canadians have little to fear from downloading music.

Despite the major crack down of music file swappers by the RIAA in theUS, it is  having very little impact on Canadian file sharers.  It certainly does make most Canadian  users think...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7105-Canadians-have-little-to-fear-from-downloading-music.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7105-Canadians-have-little-to-fear-from-downloading-music.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I remeber when you had to move to Canada to use CloneCD’s Weak Sector’s. Maybe it’s time to move to Canada to fileshare :slight_smile:
[edited by YaZ on 13.11.2003 05:49]

i got really pissed when i bought a copy-controlled EMI cd from HMV last week…it wouldn’t let me rip it to my comp for listening. i returned it for exchange of a different cd ;- i love my country, Canada, but this copy-control crap is getting out of hand. we have laws & levies that allow us to copy/rip/burn the music we buy :wink:

Stock up on those blank CD/DVD before crossing the Canadian border. Our blank CDs are at least 4x what you are now paying in the USA for your TY at BestBuy or wherever with your specials (10$US for 100 CDs) where you’ll get 30 TDK for 25$ at a Canadian CostCo plus about 14% in taxes! OTOH, I don’t need to fear the RIAA or being asked to go to Irak or pay taxes to defend the oil corporations or democracy… :wink: – Gilbert

Contrary to what the article is implying, most Europeans have nothing to fear either. Inside most of EU, it is still legal for a private user to download both music and movies off the internet, and even share it with friends. The question of uploading is more complex, and has no clear answer. Despite the EUCD, laws still vary greatly inside Europe, and the chances for a normal user getting busted for using a p2p software are next to nil. Well, not counting the incident in Denmark last year (users were not sued, but bullied into paying fines. Nothing happened to those who didn’t pay.) Privacy laws tend to be strong enough so that getting the identity of a single filesharer with a court order isn’t going to be easy.

In my country, due to lack of space on servers, most of the ISP’s logs are deleted after a month or two. So chances for users getting sued are even smaller, without proof of downloading.

The RIAA is going after uploaders, not downloaders…yet. The problem is, most of the people they did go after, didn’t realize what they’ve downloaded is in a shared folder.

Bladegash I love what you wrote its very amusing, I love the way you have convinced yourself on how the legal system works and how seemingly the law dosent apply to you or your 3rd world country. Thanks for the laugh :+ I use P2P like everybody else here but I don’t try to make excuses about it being legal, I spose it all depends on what your sharing. But when your in that jail with big bubba bouncing you on his knee using you as his sex toy, don’t say you dont know it was illegal to download that Spice Girls mp3 :stuck_out_tongue: