Canadian newbie snowed under – burner to run DISK QUALITY test!

vbimport

My first post after reading your guidelines … hope I’ve got this right:

I am an (amateur) photographer moving into the digital domain and I am setting up a tiered back-up system to protect my images. I already have paired (on-site & off-site) HDs, but I also want to put my best images on media in a third location.
I use a Presario A900 laptop and an older IDE desktop.
The Presario has a TSST Corp TS-L632N burner and I have an external LACIE TSST Corp SH-S162L burner. I believe these are Samsung drives.

Neither of these will respond the CD-DVD Speed DISK QUALITY command, which is – I believe – the most important test that I can run (on my TY) media prior to archiving.

I need to find a CD-DVD burner to run this test. Most recent reviews of new CD-DVD burners refer to the CD-DVD Speed BENCHMARK tests but do not mention if the burner supports the DISK QUALITY scans. Older reviews lead me to believe that I need to buy a LITE-ON, BenQ(!!!) or other “esoteric” burners to achieve this.

To make it more difficult, manufacturers assign slightly different model numbers to Canadian products. And all you experts have bought up all of the best-reviewed drives so I can’t even turn to eBay!!!

Up here in Toronto I can find:
FUTURE SHOP.CA & BEST BUY.CA - HP, LG, LACIE, AOPEN burners.

TIGERDIRECT.CA offers: LITE-ON ESAU208-11; DX-20A(PU or H); DH-20A4H-08; DH-20A4P-04; EHAU220-08; IHAP 322-08; IHAP422-08; IHAS120-04; IHAS220-08

BLANKMEDIA.CA (good site!) offers: ASUS E616A and PIO 116D; PIO DVR212; PIO DVR216.

I would appreciate any advice. I can also consider US purchase because I have family and business connections in the USA.

And yes, we got our first snow on Wed Nov 19th – eat your hearts out!

Hi and Welcome![quote=Yon who?;2163026]
I use a Presario A900 laptop and an older IDE desktop.
The Presario has a TSST Corp TS-L632N burner and I have an external LACIE TSST Corp SH-S162L burner. I believe these are Samsung drives. [/quote]That’s correct.

Neither of these will respond the CD-DVD Speed DISK QUALITY command, which is – I believe – the most important test that I can run (on my TY) media prior to archiving.
That’s normal also. For scanning DVD media with Nero CD/DVD Speed you need to edit your registry. See the Samsung FAQ mentioned in my signature for more details, please.

I need to find a CD-DVD burner to run this test. Most recent reviews of new CD-DVD burners refer to the CD-DVD Speed BENCHMARK tests but do not mention if the burner supports the DISK QUALITY scans. Older reviews lead me to believe that I need to buy a LITE-ON, BenQ(!!!) or other “esoteric” burners to achieve this.
For testing CD media, you indeed need another drive. Nec 7200 series should do the job, other drives who support CD-R scanning are no longer available (apart from ebay etc). For DVD scanning, you can use your Samsung drives.

And yes, we got our first snow on Wed Nov 19th – eat your hearts out!
We even had some snow here in good old Germany :slight_smile:

Michael

Hello Michael,
I will relax a bit this weekend before I go inside my registry. The last time I went there was to pick out all the intrusive bits left behind when I dumped NORTON Anti-Virus. Always makes me nervous.

May I ask if the Samsungs will be able to perform the Jitter test?

And may I ask if the Jitter test is even a factor when archiving still photos?

Snow melted here - it’s warmed up and raining now! I much prefer the snow. Thank you - Jan

Hi,[quote=Yon who?;2165444]I will relax a bit this weekend before I go inside my registry.[/quote]Or use Kprobe. This was designed for Liteon drives, but does also work with Samsung drives.

The last time I went there was to pick out all the intrusive bits left behind when I dumped NORTON Anti-Virus. Always makes me nervous.
If I remember correctly, then there is a removal tool available on Symantec support website.

May I ask if the Samsungs will be able to perform the Jitter test?
They don’t support jitter test.

And may I ask if the Jitter test is even a factor when archiving still photos?
I don’t think so. If you use good media and don’t burn at fastest speeds, you should be okay.

Snow melted here - it’s warmed up and raining now! I much prefer the snow. Thank you - Jan
Snow has gone here, also, but it’s not really warm here:)

Cheers,
Michael