Canadian copyright law reform slammed by CRIA

vbimport

Canadian copyright law reform slammed by CRIA.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/09/bPTZhR.jpg[/newsimage]Canada’s proposed copyright reform bill received criticism from the Canadian Recording industry this week in regards to the fine limits contained in the bill.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/canadian-copyright-law-reform-slammed-by-cria-34464/](http://www.myce.com/news/canadian-copyright-law-reform-slammed-by-cria-34464/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I would still have to download around 250 cds or dvds to make it worth my while.

I could arrange that. :wink:

Seems more reasonable to me. The punishment is supposed to fit the crime. Aren’t they charging thousands of dollars per song in the US (let alone per album?). I still think 5k is too high. Should be more like speeding tickets… a few hundred dollars fine when you get busted.

Fining a few hundred thousand dollars is more like a life sentence. Thats probably someone’s disposable income for the rest of their life, so you’ve pretty much turned them into a slave, take away their ability to buy a house or save for retirement.

They don’t sue shoplifters like that…

[QUOTE=Zod;2545333]They don’t sue shoplifters like that…[/QUOTE]

LOL… Get your baggy clothes on… Stealing the DVD or CD from a retail store seems to be a better choice!

“and write a $5,000 check. That would be the full extent of it”

If a $5,000 fine doesn’t scare people then I doubt $50,000 will either. I think 5 large is pretty excessive, though. Maybe the fine could be based on some kind of a scale.

Tier 1 (awesome) movie theft (Ex: Shawshank Redemption) – Fine = $100
Tier 2 (good) movie theft (Ex: The Expendables) – Fine = $50
Tier 3 (okay) movie theft (Ex: Snakes on a Plane) – Fine = $25
Tier 4 (meh) movie theft (Ex: Avatar) – Fine = $15 (3D version = $5 more)
Tier 5 (shoot me) movie theft (Ex: Swept Away) – Fine = $0.49

There’s a few legal benefits with the 5k. If your max punishment is 5k, then they can’t entirely rackateer you into settling like the US. In the US they do stuff like pay 5 grant or we’ll sue you for hundreds of thousands. That prevents alot of cases from going to trail, because someone can probably scrape up a few grand over time, but 50 grand, 100 grand, they would have serious reprecussions.

So with a 5k cap, alot of it could go to trial, because the max punishment would be a 5000 dollar fine. Meaning the legal costs for the CRIA/RIAA could kill any benefit from recieving the fine (if the gov’t even bothered to give them the fine).

The legal costs in the US must be downright low, because most of the stuff is settled on an internet website without going to court.

4chan should DDOS them like they did the MPAA and RIAA

What a bunch of idiots. Maybe if they sold the stuff at a reasonable price, people wouldn’t have to pirate it. And now you can have less punishment for shoplifting hundreds of dollars of physical stuff as opposed to getting caught downloading it. While I’m at it, you should never pay for ANYTHING that is endlessly duplicateable like software and media. If you do, it should be damn cheap!

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2545678]“and write a $5,000 check. That would be the full extent of it”

If a $5,000 fine doesn’t scare people then I doubt $50,000 will either. I think 5 large is pretty excessive, though. Maybe the fine could be based on some kind of a scale.

Tier 1 (awesome) movie theft (Ex: Shawshank Redemption) – Fine = $100
Tier 2 (good) movie theft (Ex: The Expendables) – Fine = $50
Tier 3 (okay) movie theft (Ex: Snakes on a Plane) – Fine = $25
Tier 4 (meh) movie theft (Ex: Avatar) – Fine = $15 (3D version = $5 more)
Tier 5 (shoot me) movie theft (Ex: Swept Away) – Fine = $0.49[/QUOTE]
Tier 6 (You stole what?) Plan 9 From Outer space - We give you $50

[QUOTE=paulw2;2545792]Tier 6 (You stole what?) Plan 9 From Outer space - We give you $50[/QUOTE]

I thought about P9FOS, but it’s now a cult classic. When I’m thinking the bottom of the barrel, Madonna instantly comes to mind. I’d rather watch a tv pattern than her cardboard acting. I’ll go even further. I’d rather have my name in the paper for illegally downloading gay necrophilia bestiality videos than a Madonna movie.

D-Day: Life’s over, man. Madonna made another one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say “over”? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when Madonna’s first 7 movies bombed? Hell no!
Otter: Madonna?
Boon: Forget it, he’s rolling.
Bluto: And it ain’t over now. ‘Cause when the goin’ gets tough… [long pause]
Bluto: the tough get goin’! Who’s with me? Let’s go! Ahhhhhhh !!!