Canadian copyright court updates - the battle continues

I just posted the article Canadian copyright court updates - the battle continues.

chthomson used our news submit to tell us "I think the Canadian Courts will have more to say on these matters. Other recent court cases reflect a shift on how the Courts see some…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8133-Canadian-copyright-court-updates---the-battle-continues.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8133-Canadian-copyright-court-updates---the-battle-continues.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Any Canadians know which level of elected member of the government we should be talking to in our own areas to express our opinions on subjects like these? If we don’t speak out, people like our new heritage minister will try to power through our current laws for the industry interests only. ::

So…where’s all the people bragging how great Canada is? Welcome to the club, you’ll soon be as screwed as Americans are.

At last a Judge not owned by the recording industry but it sure looks like this Heritage Minister is! Don’t worry they (the recording industry) will soon use their economic might to get rid of the only Judge in the world with some common sense! We have just had a story on a current affairs program here (OZ) with A.F.A.C.T.S claiming to be losing $ 4.5 Billion, yes (LOL) $ 4.5 Billion, a year through downloaded movies! I like stories like this it just shows what idiots they (A.F.A.C.T.S) are!

“So…where’s all the people bragging how great Canada is? Welcome to the club, you’ll soon be as screwed as Americans are.” We’d have to go a long, long way down a VERY hard road to achieve that one. Fortunately, to quote Bowie: “This is NOT America” I for one have already sent my letter to the Minister as have many another that I am aware of.

Roj- “I for one have already sent my letter to the Minister as have many another that I am aware of.” Good for you, it is critical hat our representitives understand the position of the people as well as the position of these corporations. There are at least two sides to every issue. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Here’s a copy of the mail I sent. Feel free to use it as you see fit. _________________ Hon. Hélé¨ne Scherrer Federal Minister of Heritage Canada Liberal member from Louis-Hébert Dear Minister, I am writing to express my concern about your recent comment of April 03 2004 made at the Juno awards, that “As minister of Canadian Heritage, I will, as quickly as possible, make changes to our copyright law”. Your statement was in regards to a recent ruling by Justice Konrad von Finckenstein that the Canadian Recording Industry Association didn’t prove file-sharing constituted copyright violation - and artists and producers have no legal right to sue those who swap files. Madame, I am opposed to you or/and your political party at making any changes to this law in order to favor the Canadian Recording Industry Association request and concerns. I regard the current legislation to copyrights usage of recorded music and/or video material as providing fair usage of such material for personal needs. Also the fact that every Canadian pays a copyright levy directed to the CRIA for each blank CD he or she purchases, guarantees that no such copyright infringement occurs when he or she copies music onto said media. Since I do not expect you or the Liberal party you represent to support the maintaining of this law, I will endeavor to express my opinion about your comments and political party objectives to the public, the press and the voting electorate in your constituency in hopes that you will not see your re-election in the next federal election that is pending. Sincerely, _________________

Hon. Hélé¨ne Scherrer Federal Minister of Heritage Canada Liberal member from Louis-Hébert Dear Minister, I am not a Canadian citizen – I am, in fact, American – but with regards to the ignorance of your comment concerning copyright law, I’m astounded to find that you’re NOT an American legislator. Sincerely, Me. :g
[edited by Ixne on 15.04.2004 20:33]

"I am, in fact, American " Your loss… :slight_smile:

it occurred to me after my initial derisive reaction that some clarification might be needed. You see, up here in Canada fair use is a big deal and we are very conscious in protecting it. We did not pass a flavor of the DMCA - it was tried and tossed out (rightfully so). When CD burners became prevalent, the CRIA whined about blank media being an open invitation to copyright infringement and thus loss of business revenue (totally unfounded by findings tenbdered by your own Harvard Business School in recent weeks, I might add) and so a levy was instituted on their behalf for every blank media sold, be it cassette tape or cd. In the file sharing case, the judge in question saw no difference between file sharing and putting a photocopier in a library full of copyrighted material. A copy is a copy and NOT an original - if it is in fact for personal use and not for sale thus generating revenues produced by violation of copyrights, it is not violating Canadian copyright law. Now, which part of this progression escapes you exactly? We have due diligence here. Take a lesson.

LOL Ixne :B

"Your loss… " I wasn’t bragging. Please re-read.
[edited by Ixne on 16.04.2004 19:12]