Canadian asks: Good CD-RW media?

vbimport

Hey there,

I live in Waterloo, Ontario (Canada), in close proximity to Toronto. I’ve just had a very bad experience with Memorex CD-RWs (which, yes, I now know are infamously terrible), and i’m recovering very slowly. In the meantime, while I get my morale up and generally try to struggle on with my life, I wanted to pose the question:

What are some “good” CD-RWs I can buy easily in the area I live ? I have stores here like Staples, Basics, Future Shop… I’m not opposed to ordering off the internet, as long as shipping to Canada is cheap; however I don’t know of any websites like this.

Basically I’m hoping to perchance upon another Canadian living in Ontario that knows more than this than I do, which wouldn’t be hard.

thanks,

Xaphod

Welcome to the forum xaphod
Have a look at the CDRW media tests posted in the test forum. You’ll find them in their own threads.

Ricoh
Mitsubishi
Infodisc
RiTEK
CMC

Thank you for the links, but i’ve seen these – my problem is that few of them are available here, and i’m not sure where to go. I’m hoping someone from Canada can point me to a store and say “get these” :slight_smile:

xaphod

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]Welcome to the forum xaphod
Have a look at the CDRW media tests posted in the test forum. You’ll find them in their own threads.

Ricoh
Mitsubishi
Infodisc
RiTEK
CMC [/B]

Check this out
http://www.canadacomputers.com/media.html

I have bought some Ritek 650MB 10X CD-RW from Canada Computers. They can be burned at 12x in my lite-on 48246S.

Be sure to call them before you go. Sometimes they don’t have the items listed on their website in stock.

In my experience, the Memorex 16-24x CD-RWs are total junk, but their 4-12x CD-RWs actually aren’t so bad.

hi there xaphod

i recently started buying samsung rewitables from one of the dollar stores here in mississauga.at only $1.15 each ive had no problems with them.i also get the memorex cdrw but only the 4 to 12 speed like jasonm has

Hey there zhx,

I’m a big fan of CComp, having lived a couple blocks away this past summer of the Toronto/College St. store (I lived at Baldwin & Spadina). I’ll check out the Ritek 10x, thanks for the tip!

Xaphod

Originally posted by zhx
[B]Check this out
http://www.canadacomputers.com/media.html

I have bought some Ritek 650MB 10X CD-RW from Canada Computers. They can be burned at 12x in my lite-on 48246S.

Be sure to call them before you go. Sometimes they don’t have the items listed on their website in stock. [/B]

Well given the experience i’ve had with the 2-4x Memorex, and the fact that only the 2-4x are available in the stores I frequent, i’m going to stay off Memorex forever. This is a far cry from my original plan, which included such gems as fire-bombing Memorex’ headquarters. :slight_smile:

X

Originally posted by jasonm
In my experience, the Memorex 16-24x CD-RWs are total junk, but their 4-12x CD-RWs actually aren’t so bad.

Mattjenn,

Interesting. Who manufactures the Samsung? Ie. in Nero CDSpeed, what does it say under Disc Info?

I haven’t seen any Samsung for sale around here but i’ll keep an eye out.

X

Originally posted by mattjenn
[B]hi there xaphod

i recently started buying samsung rewitables from one of the dollar stores here in mississauga.at only $1.15 each ive had no problems with them.i also get the memorex cdrw but only the 4 to 12 speed like jasonm has [/B]

im back

checked under nero speed and it said ritek

now the disks were manufactured for samsung

the item code on the back is w74p1010jl or you can go to their website at www.samsungmedia.com (its the red cover 74 minutes long and is 10x cdrw

hope this helps

mattjenn