Can you use a Liteon 163 dvdrom to scan burns?

Sorry not sure wear to ask this…I just recalled I have Liteon 163 dvdrom…can i use this to do scans of dvdrw burns?

Thanks

Hi,

you can’t trust the results obtained with a DVD-ROM drive. Maybe a read test will reveal problems with your discs.

Michael

The scans will say something about the quality, but you can’t compare them to scans made with a burner. You can only compare to other DVD-ROM scans. :wink:

Darn…thanks

Do you have any evidence for that?

Hi,

there are enough contributions in this forum :wink:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/290

remember that scans done with a Lite-On DVD-ROM or Lite-On combo drive can’t be compared with the results obtained with a Lite-On DVD-Writer.

Michael

Hi, that article does not test any DVD-ROM drive, and what you have quoted cannot be taken as evidence.

I have searched very extensively for a long time, no evidence has been found so far. On the other hand, there are evidence to the contrary already.

Nobody has said you can not scan with a DVD-ROM drive.
What has been said in numerous threads here over
several years is, scans done with a DVD-ROM drive
can not be compaired to scans done with burners.
So, while you can use the DVD-ROM drive to scan
and compare your own burns, those scans can not
be compared to burner scans with any reliability. :disagree:

Not true:disagree: . Read post #2 for an example among many others.

I did NOT write, that scanning with a ROM drive is impossible.

Michael

I know that, but when people say “ you cannot scan with a DVD-ROM drive”, more often than not they mean “you can’t trust the results obtained with a DVD-ROM drive”, which you have said. Let’s waste no more time on semantics, but focus on the pertinent issue. Besides having not seen any evidence to support that you can’t trust the PI/PO errors obtained with any DVD-ROM drive, I have not found any proof that DVD burners can be trusted in this respect. C1/C2 error scanning is another matter.

Okay. Here you are:
Liteon LTD-166S vs. Liteon SHM-165P6S. First set is a Sony D21, the second pair shows a TDK branded Yuden T03. Scan with DVD-ROM drive was done at “Max”, as it was not possible to set the reading speed in CD/DVD Speed.

There are four possible explanations of the results:

1. Both drives are reliable.

2. Only LTD-166S is reliable.

3. Only SHM-165P6S is reliable.

4. Neither drive is reliable.

How about run transfer rate test and read test to see if they will tell us something? Also, you’d better use KProbe for PI/PO error scanning, as Nero CD-DVD Speed does not tell you whether there are (read) errors.

LTD-166S and Benq DW-1650 are okay for that?

Also, you’d better use KProbe for PI/PO error scanning, as Nero CD-DVD Speed does not tell you whether there are (read) errors.

Here you are (all done for the Sony disc above):
(Kprobe allows setting read speeds, but the drive ignores that, max speed was about 8.4x)

Have you forgot Read Test under ScanDisc? Would you use all three drives?

Benq and 166S both report 100% Good.

Would you use all three drives?
No need to use the Liteon DVDRW, as the Benq is much pickier :wink:

Michael

Always a Writer can handle the power of the laser diode in better way than DVD-ROM drives to get a better reading of a disc.
Almost always a (Liteon) Writer will report better reading results than a DVD-ROM drive
A DVD ROM drive could read faster than a writer, but not with the same accuracy

Then the issue will remain unsettled; but we at least can say that LTD-166S is pickier than SHM-165P6S in reading DVDs, hence the former is more suitable for assessing the readability of DVDs in a variety of readers.

Is that disk the worst you have? If not, do you have some disks that show unreadable blocks? Those disks may help us find the answer. You may consult post 60-72 in the following thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=167693&page=3&pp=25

[quote=“muchin”]

Then the issue will remain unsettled;[/quote]What issue? I just claimed, that the 166S is not a good scanner. I know the reading capabilities of my Litey and the Benq:
If the Benq shows slowdowns, then the TRT of the Litey is still fine. There are some errors that cause the Benq to stop reading while the Litey (and my Samsung!) will only show slowdowns.

but we at least can say that LTD-166S is pickier than SHM-165P6S in reading DVDs,
Why that? Both Liteys read back that disc without errors and slowdowns. The scan taken with the 166S is really ugly considering that this is a good disc.

Is that disk the worst you have? If not, do you have some disks that show unreadable blocks? Those disks may help us find the answer.
Will this really give the answer to the question, if an old Liteon DVD-ROM is a useful scanner?
Okay. This scan (Philip branded INFOME R30 written at 12x max with Samsung SH-W163A) shows a spike at about 1,7 GB. All Mediatek based drives, I can access (including 166S), show a slowdown here, Benq DW-1650 and LG-4163B stop reading with the well-known error message.

… adding Benq TRT