Can you rip a dual layer dvd and put it on a 9.4GB DVD-R media?

i think the subject tells it all :slight_smile:

Yes you can but you first need some dual layer 9.4g DVD-R’s and then a dual layer burner. Best of luck in the hunt for these.

There will never be 9.4 GB dual layer media. Dual layer is 8.4 GB. There is dual sided single layer 9.4 GB media available.

Originally posted by alexnoe
There will never be 9.4 GB dual layer media. Dual layer is 8.4 GB. There is dual sided single layer 9.4 GB media available.

oh well …worth a try :wink:

there is a programm “re-mpeg” that can re-code you dvd movie so it will fit on a single dvd-r.
You won’t even notice the quality loss.

Also you can use ifo-edit to split the dvd in 2 dvd-r.

if you need links to those programs, just ask

Originally posted by damiandimitri
[B]there is a programm “re-mpeg” that can re-code you dvd movie so it will fit on a single dvd-r.
You won’t even notice the quality loss.

Also you can use ifo-edit to split the dvd in 2 dvd-r.

if you need links to those programs, just ask [/B]

thanks for your reply. so basically double layerd media can still be extracted or “ripped”. It just cant fit into 1 dvd-r media? it must be 2. is that correct? also, i would like the links to thoes programs. Thanks so much for your help :slight_smile:

i would be better to put a 2 layerd dvd on 2 dvd-r

will get you the links as soon as possible

here you go;

ifoedit http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/Derrow/index.html

re-mpeg; http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Encoders/MPEG2/ReMPEG2v152.zip

quote:

how can u so sure that there will never be a dual layer 9.4 GB media available???

Originally posted by damiandimitri
[B]i would be better to put a 2 layerd dvd on 2 dvd-r

thanksman!

how can u so sure that there will never be a dual layer 9.4 GB media available???
It could not be compatible with current dvd-rom drives.

your welcome

It could not be compatible with current dvd-rom drives.

it is becuase DYE is not good enough to able to make a dual layers. By the way, if really the dual layer in one side dvd come out. Would u guys interested to buy?? and at what price??

I would be interested if media were not more expensive than single layer, measured in Euro per gigabyte.

I would be interested if media were not more expensive than single layer, measured in Euro per gigabyte.

how much do they sell the dvd media in germany?? and one more thing… what brand do u usually buy at what speed? thanks :slight_smile:

Dual sided discs are available at about 5 euro per piece, but I don’t use them on my own: I want to write the title of the disc onto it.
Some of them are even made by TDK at this price, but you never know…

I usually use Verbatim media (available at 3,40 euro per piece at snogard.de), 2x certified of course.

I’ve tried 20 pieces TraxData, which were made by Vivastar. The package claimed “1x-2x speed”, but even at 1x (it was not recognised as 2x compatible), 1 was unreadable after burning, and one gave a medium write error.

[B]Dual sided discs are available at about 5 euro per piece, but I don’t use them on my own: I want to write the title of the disc onto it.
Some of them are even made by TDK at this price, but you never know…

I usually use Verbatim media (available at 3,40 euro per piece at snogard.de), 2x certified of course.

I’ve tried 20 pieces TraxData, which were made by Vivastar. The package claimed “1x-2x speed”, but even at 1x (it was not recognised as 2x compatible), 1 was unreadable after burning, and one gave a medium write error. [/B]

so. which format r u using? DVD-R or DVD+R … do u find verbatim is a good media?? cos for what i know verbatim is made in taiwan and the quality is not very good and do u use any other brand??

and i think u misunderstand what i asking u …i was asking u that if there is a single side dvd media but have dual layer on it which is 9.4 GB, what price do u think is a reasonable price for buying it??

ah…yes, in this case, i’ve misread your question.
No, there is no dual layer media available, nor are there dual layer burners.
A reasonable price would simply be twice as much as a what single layer disc costs.

I use DVD-R, since I have a DVD-minus drive…
Verbatim media is made in different countries. All my Verbatim DVD-R are made in Singapure, and this is definitely very good media. But other plants might produce different quality.

DVD 9.4gig is a double sided disc so beware if you didn’t intend to want a flipper movie.

As posted earlier it would be better to just re-encoded it on to a 4.7 gig DVD-R