Can you recover from a bad flash?

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung TS-L632D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a TS-L632D dvd writer. I made a bad flash a couple months ago. So now that I have time, can I recover my “dead” drive? The green light shows, but it isn’t recognized by the BIOS. I heard you can force flash it through MS-DOS at bootup. If so can anyone explain to me how?

Hi,

look here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/howto-flash-firmware-samsung-dvd-writer-231217/#post2063535

You will need a bootable USB flash memory device to run plain DOS. And it’s very useful if you know the “configuration” of the drive (Primary Master, Secondary Slave, etc.) in order to force the flash on a unrecognised drive.
For Syntax help, run tsdndos /? (or sfdndos /?) from the command line.

Michael

ok thanks.

sfdndos syntax:

sfdndos firmware.bin [port] [options]

port=sm (secondary master), ss (secondary slave), ps (primary slave), tm (third master) or ts (third slave) dependig on the individual configuration.
The “port” option is optional, but it might be helpful to “blind” flash a drive that isn’t recognised by the Bios.

tsdndos has different options, I haven’t figured out yet.
Basic syntax is

tsdndos firmware.bin [port] [options]

Edit: seems as if the same port options as in sfdndos are available.

Michael

:iagree: Agree with mciahel. :iagree:

But, I still like our retired moderator [I]dhc014[/I] explanation better. Linky.

BTW, anyone that runs in dead drive flash problems this is the best “recovery” thread I’ve ever seen.
Note, not to take anything away from [I]mciahel[/I] or any other member. :flower:

[B]Edit[/B]. Seen [I]mciahel[/I] posted additional details. Whatever you do don’t connect drive to PM (primary master) because all flashers are programmed for ignoring PM, ie. being your C:/ (hdd drive). Thanks.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2408980]
BTW, anyone that runs in dead drive flash problems this is the best “recovery” thread I’ve ever seen. [/quote]Nice link :iagree:

[B]Edit[/B]. Seen [I]mciahel[/I] posted additional details. Whatever you do don’t connect drive to PM (primary master) because all flashers are programmed for ignoring PM, ie. being your C:/ (hdd drive). Thanks.
Thanks for the reminder to PM position. Indeed, this is not shown in the options list, so I edited my post above accordingly.

Michael

I have one more question to ask. How do I tell what port it’s on? All it says in the BIOS is “Primary hard drive disk”, “Secondary hard drive disk” and “modular bay device”. The CD drive is the modular bay device.

Hi,

especially with laptops, Bios often does not give much information about the drive’s configuration.
Since the drive is not accessible in Windows environment (in a working Windows, check the properties of the primary and secondary IDE channels: Device 0 is Master, Device 1 is Slave), I’d suggest using some Linux Live system run off a bootable USB stick.

Michael

got help from the dell forums. They said it is primary master as it is the only EIDE there is.

“It should be a primary master. There is only one controller in the system and the hard drive isn’t EIDE so it’s totally separate.”

Hmm does sfdndos have primary master (PM)? From the guide it only states SM, PS, and SS

[QUOTE=brncao;2421591]got help from the dell forums. They said it is primary master as it is the only EIDE there is.

“It should be a primary master. There is only one controller in the system and the hard drive isn’t EIDE so it’s totally separate.”[/quote]You should have mentioned before, that you own a Dell laptop.
But note, depending on the Sata configuration in Bios, you may have two IDE controllers. Windows device manager will then show two “Primary Channels”. Workaround: switch Sata operation to “Sata/AHCI” in Bios.

Hmm does sfdndos have primary master (PM)? From the guide it only states SM, PS, and SS
Just try it. Before, you may try without specifying the channel.

Michael