Can you help me re-learn how to back-up up CDs & DVDs?

vbimport

Some of you may remember me as the old guy (who’s even older now) who used to check in here a while back to get help learning how to back-up my CD and DVD collections.

Those projects got derailed by health and equipment problems. But I seem to be getting back onto my feet again (or at least back into my seat at this computer) and seem to have a (semi) working hand-me-down computer capable of burning CDs and DVDs up and running again.

The trouble is that during that downtime I suffered a number of seizure-like brainstorms (called temporal lobe epilepsy) that have had the effect of wiping out a significant part of my memory. So I’m having trouble remembering what you guys taught me about how to burn CDs. And I’d also like to pick-up where I left off trying to learn how to burn dual layer DVDs.

(I know! I know! CDs and DVDs are so retro! But then, again, so am I, aren’t I? And this forum once was named “CD Freaks” wasn’t it? So for old times sake I’d be grateful for some help getting back up to speed).

What I do remember is that I switched from Nero to something else for burning my CDs, because Nero kept putting loud pops into the CD-Rs. But I can’t remember which program I switched to, or how to use it.

I do remember that the program I switched to was much more complicated than Nero. What I like about Nero was that it had something like a “one-button” back-up option, but the replacement program required a lot of fiddling with settings. I did however get the second program working and managed to produce a few back-ups.

My 70th birthday is coming up and I’d like to burn some compilation CDs of my favorite songs to play at the party.

So my first step will be to search through the archives here to see if I can find the threads where I learned how to burn CDs.

In the meantime, I’d be grateful to any of you who remember me, or anyone else who would be willing to stand by to field questions as I tackle this project.

I’m only able to sit up at the computer for a few minutes at a time these days (my hand-me-down laptop died ages ago) so it takes me days and days to accomplish what anyone else could manage in just a few minutes at their computer.

Just let us know what you find, and we’ll help you with the rest. :flower:

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2691536]Some of you may remember me as the old guy (who’s even older now) who used to check in here a while back to get help learning how to back-up my CD and DVD collections.

My 70th birthday is coming up and I’d like to burn some compilation CDs of my favorite songs to play at the party.

In the meantime, I’d be grateful to any of you who remember me, or anyone else who would be willing to stand by to field questions as I tackle this project.

[/QUOTE]

Great to have you back here with us! :flower:

Hi Will , As always I hope you are feeling better.
I think this may be the thread you are looking for.

I think you used ImgBurn to burn to a CD & didn’t get “pops” .

I still like Exact Audio Copy (EAC) for Reading (Ripping) CDs .
I prefer to then create a cue with ImgBurn & Write (Burn) with it.