Can you get cd's with more than 800MB?

vbimport

#1

I know there is probably a simple answer to this question. I am trying to make backup copies of some games and succeded with most. The other I was getting errors so I used DiskDump to create an ISO image. The problem is all my CD’s are 800MB and the ISO image is 811MB. I have been around the shops and cant find anything above 800MB. I found only DVD’s that are 4.7gig, but I cant use that. I will be gratefull for answers.


#2

Originally posted by hadesthunder

The problem is all my CD’s are 800MB and the ISO image is 811MB.
This is not a problem whatsoever. A CDR always contains 2-3 min / 15 - 20 MB more than given by standard.
In order to determine the CD real capacity goto :

CD Speed > Extra > Overburning Test .

The you’ll be able to see something like this :



Well, otherwise try to get 99’ CDRs containg 870 MB of data.


#3

You can get up to 3x700 or 2.1 gb on a regular cdr using HDburn. But you need special drives to burn and read since it is still a very new technology.

I know sanyo is making drives that support this. But so far it is at 2x700 or 1.4gb.


#4

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman

You can get up to 3x700 or 2.1 gb on a regular cdr using HDburn. But you need special drives to burn and read since it is still a very new technology.

I know sanyo is making drives that support this. But so far it is at 2x700 or 1.4gb.
Why bother this if there are DVD-ROMs available ?


#5

Another choise is overburn your data to 870MB cd.


#6

Originally posted by gerekmez

Another choise is overburn your data to 870MB cd.
That’s what I said :

Originally posted by BoSkin

[COLOR=darkblue] Well, otherwise try to get 99’ CDRs containg 870 MB of data.

Yet in this case NO overburn is needed thanks to the 99’ disc capacity.
But 90’ discs would be just fine for 811 MB ( with overburn, of course ).[/COLOR]


#7

thanks for your help. will be getting 900MB cdrs as I just realised my cdrs are 700MB and not 800MB as I’d thought. Went to a shop earlier to get 900 MB and the shop assistant told me ‘‘you cant get 900mb, only go up to 700MB.’’ I felt like enlightening him but whats the point.:a


#8

Originally posted by hadesthunder

will be getting 900MB cdrs as I just realised my cdrs are 700MB and not 800MB as I’d thought.

‘‘you cant get 900mb, only go up to 700MB.’’ I felt like enlightening him but whats the point.:a

First of all, you don’t need 99’/ 870 MB CDRs, 90’/800 MB would be just fine.
Yes, those are not as common as 80’ CDRs, which doesn’t mean they ain’t available at all.
You can certainly find them in some media specialized stores.