Can you craft a firmware that doesn't cache audio?

vbimport

First post - so hello everybody!

I have a LiteOn 16P9SV solely for the purpose of audio extraction. This DVD-Rom is really a decent ripper, but it has a downside - it caches audio. While it does my ripper of choice, EAC, has problems catching errors. So it has to do some magic on its own to get around the caching. And this “magic” is taking a looong time. I bet the DVD-Rom would be able to rip twice as fast if it didn’t cache audio data.

So then I googled around and I found the Omnipatcher. Well, it seems some of you guys now a lot about LiteOn drives and their firmwares. So let’s just pop the big question:

Can you guys disable the audio data caching also? That’d be totally awesome.

Thank you

mic

What about trying Cdex instead.

Cdex is like cdparanoia, it doesn’t know any way around the cache.

Cheers

mic

I doubt “disabling” the cache would give anything good here.

Hi chef,

I found this explanation at http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac03.htm#-:

Drive caches audio data !!: EAC reads every audio sector twice and compares them. If the two sectors are different EAC knows that a read error occurred and will reread the suspicious sector over and over again until a satisfying result is achieved (or an error reported to the user). If a drive caches audio data EAC will read the audio data from the cache on the second read attempt instead of from the CD. Of course the buffer always gives the same sector to EAC so the error detection no longer works. If the first sector is read incorrect EAC will not detect this as the buffer will give EAC the faulty audio sector twice. Since no difference between the two sectors is detected EAC will assume that the sector is read correct what is obviously not true. In this case the “Drive caches audio data” option has to be enabled, so that EAC will clear the cache by overreading it.

So say you got a drive that caches audio. There are three possibilities.

1. You use EAC for audio ripping. It’s the only software I know that has ways to work around the cache by overreading it (see above). The downside is the slower ripping speed (~50%).

2. You use any other software (or you lie to EAC and tell it that you drive doesn’t cache). This way the quality of the rip depends totally on the drive, which is bad. Ripping is faster but… bad.

3. You find some genius that is able to disable the cache in the drives firmware :slight_smile: This way every ripper can use its error detection capabilities as good as possible, plus the ripping is as fast as it gets.

Thank you

mic

Yes. You use EAC… I don’t find it excessively slow for ripping.
I suspect that turning off the cache in firmware would be similarly
slow because the HD data is being compared with OD data not
flash memory.
For some people (e.g. me) the setting "drive caches audio data"
is not clear. As a setting, it should read something like “Bypass
drive’s audio data cache.” It takes ages to wrap your neurons
around all the settings in EAC.

You also need to discover and set the offset.

Finally, for “bit-perfect” copies, you are better off getting a drive that overreads both lead in and lead out. For that, you are pretty much limited to Yamaha and non-OEMed Plextor drives.

Get yourself an old Benq 1620!!! It doesn’t cache!!!