Can you copy the copy protection?

vbimport

Hello, this is my 2nd post here, so hopefully I won’t make too much of a fool of myself. :wink: I’ve checked around the forums a bit before buying any DVD backup programs, but I can’t seem to find an answer for this.

I was curious to know if it’s possible to actually copy the copy protection on a DVD when making a 1:1 backup.

I know that AnyDVD HD decrypts the the copy protection while running in the background, and by using another program “ImgBurn” you can copy the DVD to your hard drive, but will ImgBurn be copying the copy protection too?

I know it might sound silly to some. “Why would he want to KEEP the copy protection?” The reason I ask is because I’m trying to make EXACT perfect 1:1 BIT FOR BIT backups of my DVDs and Blu-Ray DVDs.

As a follow up question, if it IS possible to copy the copy protection, can DVD and Blu-Ray DVD burners burn that to disk when I re-burn my backup?

Another question a little off-topic, so no need to answer this one: I’ve noticed anytime someone wants to make a backup of a video game, they have to have a mod chip installed in their video game console in order to play it…Does that mean it’s impossible to make a perfect 1:1 EXACT copy of a video game, including the copy protection information? Or does the problem lie in re-burning the game once you’ve backed it up?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

No. Copy protection is typically only available on stamped disks.

olyteddy, thanks for your reply.

If I’m understanding correctly, that means I won’t be able to burn the copy protection back onto a disc, but will I still be able to at least extract that information off the original copy when I rip the DVD?

I guess my question is, when I start AnyDVD, it runs in the background.
Then, I start ImgBurn and actually start ripping the DVD.
When it’s done ripping the DVD, ImgBurn will save it to a file on my hard drive.
Will this file have the copy protection information?

Sorry if I’m being redundant with my question, I just want to make sure I’m understanding this right…

Thanks again!

Will this file have the copy protection information?

The file will not have any copy protection as AnyDVD removed it.

jeff53404,

Thanks for answering. I guess I will look into AnyDVD more, maybe there is a way that program can copy the information since it’s the one actually reading it. Or maybe even CloneDVD. Back to the drawing board…:slight_smile:

Thanks again for your help.

Ahhh, so close, yet so far away!

I am using the function “Rip To Image” in AnyDVD and there is an option:

Keep Protection (Blu-ray / HD-DVD)

However, there is no option to keep protection on standard DVDs. :frowning:

Does anyone know of a way to keep the protection when ripping standard DVDs to my hard drive?

It’s possible to copy (most) structure protected discs (Sony + Disney) and keep the messy file structure with the use of an old program Ripit4me in ISO read mode. The bad sectors will be filled with dummy data but the re burned disc image will still be impossible to open up with dvdshrink.

Thank you Gummigutta,

I guess I need to learn more about how copy protection works. I don’t even know what structure protection is. I thought most (if not all) standard DVDs were made the same way, where there was a CSS ‘code’ in the first sector of the disc, and your “licensed” DVD player could de-code it. So I was thinking it was possible to just copy this “code” and include it in your ISO image to have a perfect 1:1 backup on your hard drive. It would be nice if some generous person could post a sticky thread titled “How Copy Protection Works” and explain step-by-step exactly what happens when you put your DVD into your DVD player since I’m probably sounding like a total fool about now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to all who have helped.