Can you capture a PAL VHS tape with NTSC player?

A friend of mine has a Pal VHS tape, but not a Pal player. Would I be able to view and capture the PAL tape on my NTSC player if I go composite out of the player into my capture card and set the capture card at Pal source? Never had a reson to try this so I don’t know if it will work or not. Trying to save him the trouble of mailing me the tape only to find out it will not work.

Originally posted by Daemonicus
A friend of mine has a Pal VHS tape, but not a Pal player. Would I be able to view and capture the PAL tape on my NTSC player if I go composite out of the player into my capture card and set the capture card at Pal source? Never had a reson to try this so I don’t know if it will work or not. Trying to save him the trouble of mailing me the tape only to find out it will not work.

I highly doubt it would work since PAL uses a different resolution and framerate than NTSC. PAL is 25fps and NTSC is 29.97fps so there would probably be some problems. Thats where a multi-region VCR comes in handy:)

If your PC has a capture card that supports NTSC or PAL 60 (Most European VCRs play NTSC tapes as PAL 60) and a TV out, then this should be possible. If you’re not sure, run your TV application on your PC in full screen and set it to composite in (NTSC source, if there is a setting). Connect your NTSC video player to the PC capture and play the NTSC tape. If the picture displays on your PC monitor fine in colour, then your got at least one step closer.

Connect the TV out of your graphics card to your second Video recorder and enable the TV out if necessary (some cards require the PC to be rebooted to enable this). Check in the graphics card settings to make sure the TV out is set to PAL. With the TV capture program still running in full screen, hopefully you should see this on the TV connected to the second VCR. If all goes well, press play on the NTSC VCR and record on the PAL VCR. :slight_smile: