Can you burn Multisession DVD's on an eMac with a Superdrive?

vbimport

On those new eMac’s with the Sony DVD RW DW-D21A, is it possible to burn Multi-session DVD’s? Either DVD R or DVD RW or both? If so, could you explain how? Do you need a specific program or can the built-in burning tools do that for you?

Thanks,

BK

You mean the U21A? I don’t think there’s a D21A… anyway, the drive should support it. But I haven’t the faintest idea how one would do this on a Mac.

There are not many Mac users at CDF. Last time I asked a Mac question, it never got answered. You might want to try a Mac-specific forum; you may wish to try asking in the one at rpc1.org.

This is straight from System Profiler:

SONY DVD RW DW-D21A:

Firmware Revision: BAS7
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Oh cool; so there is a D21A. Argh. Why don’t they name it D22A like all the other DL-capable 16x burners of that generation?! The non-DL capable drives have always been U21A. And the DL-capable have always been D22A. And now they pull a hybrid of those names. [grumbles at whoever decided to use this unconventional name]

Too bad there’s no firmware dumper/flasher for the Mac (I hope that might change in the future ;)); otherwise I’d ask you for a copy of that firmware; if you ever remove the drive and hook it up to a PC to flash its firmware, could you please dump the firmware and send it my way? Thanks.

I’m not sure if it is an 8x or 16x burner or what not. I wonder where I would find that? I think it has an 8x limit. I put a 16x DVD-R in the drive but Toast only lists 8x as the highest burn speed available. If I can find out anything more about the details, I’ll post again.

Overall, I’m kinda pleasantly surprised at how sophisticated OS X 10.4 seems to be. Amazingly powerful but also very, very intuitive. Unix/BSD underpinnings with the classic Mac sensibility. Spiffy. :slight_smile:

this SONY DVD RW DW-D21A is a rebadged 1633S… you can flash it with the 1653s firmware CSTR for enhanced media compatibilty.

a friend of mine flashed his firmware (BAS3) to CS0K the day he got his drive. i don’t think he has a firmware backup, but i will ask him later.

I like OS X, too. Except I just use my Mac as a server, run it without accessing the GUI, and do everything via the command line via SSH. You could say that I like Unix in general. :slight_smile: Needless to say, I’ve never burned a single thing on a Mac, so I can’t help you with any of that. :stuck_out_tongue:

It should be rated for 16x +R. -R will be limited to 8x like all drives of the 1633S family.

Thanks.

I cannot imagine not using the GUI - it’s just that great.

On OS X, how do you do a KILLX or what not to kill the GUI and revert to the command line? Does STARTX activate the GUI from the command line on OS X?

SMB works perfectly too. Very well setup from the start.

I do kinda wish I could start Midnight Commander to do some file movement like I could in Mandrake.