Can you boot-off a PX-716SA?

vbimport

Within the next couple of month, I’m planning to do a system upgrade to a 99% legecy free system. I planned on making everything SATA and PCI-E as much as possible, the only legecy part is the good old, floppy drive to install 3rd party SATA drivers.

Plextor is currently the only optical drive manufactuer that makes SATA drives. I was wondering if it is possible to boot a boot CD off a PX-716SA via controller BIOS?

Interesting Question, If you have an onboard S ATA controller and a bootable disk I would say yes as long as you set it to first boot device. If you have an add on S ATA controller all bets are off!

you can get floppies that use sata

I have a PX-712SA and I can boot off of it with no problems. It’s connected to the native nForce3 controller on my Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo.

However, unless you’re getting a mobo with an Intel chipset with Intel SATA southbridge support I would be very careful as to the motherboard you buy as the vast majority of motherboards with native SATA support will not support SATA optical drives properly. Even my mobo, last I checked in October of last year, would only support my SATA optical with a specific BIOS and no other (don’t know if that problem has been rectified.) Unfortunately, I would advise you to do a LOT of research if you’re going AMD and want to use a SATA optical.

PS AGP isn’t legacy.

I was getting some flavor of the NF4 Ultra MB probably an EpoX or DFI unit. AGP is going out the window for performance video cards however, it’ll remain for the value line for quite a while yet.

Thanks for your responses BTW, :slight_smile:

This is a good thread to look over for Motherboard compatibilty with Plextor drives. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=120684

Do not buy the 716SA with an nforce ultra chipset. Plextor SATA drives have a serious compatibility issue with the nforce 4 SATA drivers. I have had a Chaintech VNF4 and now I have a Asus A8N-SLI. I experience crashes on a daily basis. Asus is recomending that people with the deluxe version switch their drives over to the promise SATA controllers, so anyone who doesnt have a different controller will experience problems.

I was able to boot off of my 716 drive. I have an Nvidia nForce3 motherboard and the cd-rw drive is plugged into an Nvidia SATA port.

I had a PX-716SA in my NForce4 system for a couple of days. Installed WindowsXP Pro. using the PX-716SA. It booted off of the WindowsCD just fine. The only thing I couldn’t do was flash my BIOS using my clean boot cd for BIOS flashing.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Pentium® 4 550 Processor Prescott 3.4GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 1MB Cache Retail 3.4GHz, 1MB, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775
Intel - BX80547PG3400E

Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE Motherboard

Seagate ST3120827AS Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ 120GB
Serial ATA-150, 7,200 RPM, 8MB

MSI GeForce 6800 NX6800-TD256E Video Card
256MB, PCI-Express x16, DVI, 2D/3D w/ TV-Out
MSI - NX6800TD256E

Corsair TWIN2X1024-5400C4PRO 1GB DDR2-667 XMS2
XMS2-5400 ProSeries Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Retail

Mitsumi MTM43WBLK 1.44MB 3.5in Internal Floppy Disk Drive (Black)
Manufacturer: MITSUMI

Plextor 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive, Model PX-716SA/SW, Retail
Model# PX-716SA/SW
Item # N82E16827131351…………………………. $117.99…………………………………….NewEgg

ENERMAX Noisetaker 600W Power Supply, ATX 12V V2.0 compatible, Model “EG701AX-VE SFMA 2.0 SLI”

The problem is with the Plextor. It doesn’t show up in the BIOS when I have the SATA mode set to RAID. The only way this drive shows up is to have the SATA mode set to anything other than RAID. If I do that I lose my RAID 0 + RAID 1 set up.

I have the latest BIOS for the MB (13) and for the Plextor (1.04). I also have the latest verion of the Intel Application Accelorator.

The only way for me to install Windows XP was to connect a IDE CD-ROM drive.

After the install Windows XP SP2 see’s the drive fine but still no luck in the BIOS.

So now there is no way for me to boot off of this DVD drive. I had to order a Plextor Premium CD-RW drive and plug that into the IDE controller on the MB.

If anyone can get this combo to work please let me know how you did it.

I think someone has to do a BIOS update or a Firmware update to resolve this issue.

-Draino-

I read your post over and over and am a little confused as to where your Plextor is hooked up. Don’t know your Mobo very well but newer Mobos have 4 Sata ports of which two are Raid ports.

My Plextor is hook up to a SATA port on the MB, I have 4 of them. 2 are for the Seagates and 1 is for the Plextor.

Like I said I don’t know the Mobo very well. Mine has settings for the normal IDE controller IE: S ATA, S ATA+P ATA and P ATA, If not hooked up to your Raid controller (can’t think of the proper name for the regular controller :confused: ) Raid settings should not effect the other controller or at least mine doesn’t. Strange. :confused:

This is the reply I got from Plextor:

The Chipset driver for your mother board for serial ATA would need to support ATAPI. If Abit chose not to support Serial ATA ATAPI extension then it a design issue with the mother board and not Plextor. ALL optical drives need ATAPI to work either in the form of IDE ATAPI or Serial ATA ATAPI.

Thanks
Shawn
Tech Support

Well you could look for updated chipset drivers, but I seriously doubt that any mobo manufacturer would design a chipset with out S ATA ATAPI support and then install S ATA ports :confused: . Wonder what tech support is thinking? Sounds to me like the support guy is not doing his job as he gave you a answer without any research. Just my opinion. :slight_smile:

It all depends. My ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe booted fine off of my SATA Plextor. No hassles or problems whatsoever.

What the tech support guy is telling you is that essentially, SATA optical support, like I mentioned above, is not only a factor of chipset support and driver support, but of motherboard BIOS support. If Abit’s BIOS does not support SATA opticals you are SOL and given Abit’s history on the issue that’s a very likely scenario.

I’m sure my msi sli k8n neo4 can boot on the nforce 4 chipset.
But the silicon 3132 chipset i had 1 or 2 issues… hehe

I prob have to set it up as a scsi boot. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think some people might be missing the point here. I am talking about booting with a SATA only DVD on a SATA port with RAID enabled.

I can boot just fine of the exact same drive as long as I dont want to use a RAID array of any kind.

Anyway here is another reply from Plextor:

Your Intel board, with Ichr 6, incorporates a new Matrix technology, which among other things, provides the benefits of Raid 0+1 but with the need of only 2 hard drives, a Matrix Raid. As to why when enabling this feature you are unable to utilize the Plextor drive would be a question for Intel. I will direct this query to our engineers, as I am sure there will be more issues with these new technologies.

Rich
Plextor America Support Team

@-Draino- Have you contacted Abit about this problem, at least make them aware of it, and maybe between Abit and Intel they can look at it and incorparate a fix in a new bios revision for your Mobo as it looks like Bios is where your problem starts. Just a suggestion. :slight_smile: