Can Write, But Can't Read back

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SHW-160P6S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,
I’m not sure what’s the problem. I’m using Nero to burn DVD+R using Lite-On SHW-160PS. The drive can write with no problem, but when Nero want to validate data, error occur. When I tried to read back the, drive name change to CD, and it’s empty. The same dvd-r can be read in other pc without issues. The drive also can read normal dvd, except DVD+R that I burned, even before the problem occurred. I even format the whole PC, initially it still can’t read, but somehow, there were a few time it can read after I install daemon tool. But then after a few days, it can’t read back. Any idea?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

This problem is very frequent with low quality discs.

Try again to burn on a proven quality disc like Verbatim: this should solve :slight_smile:

thanks geno,
Recently, I’m using Sony’s DVD+R, which don’t have any issue earlier. Even DVD+R that I used much earlier, which have no issues then, now it can’t detect. But if I read it using other PC, there’s no issue. I don’t think the problem with the DVD+R, it must be the drive.

Different drives certainly have different reading capabilities. This feature is most evident with low quality discs, like Sony branded media: when a drive is rather picky, it is not able to read well bad burned discs.

You can try to improve reading capabilities updating the firmware, but even if this often improves the drive performance there is no guarantee that you’ll be able to read these discs.

The Liteon 160P6S is able to run the quality test with CD-DVD speed. Can you try to run the test and post the picture here?

Can you try anyway to do a test with a Verbatim disc? If also Verbatim fails, then the drive could be effectively damaged.

To completely exclude some sort of software issues in your computer, can you test the drive in a different computer (maybe you can ask a friend to run a quick test)?

My SHW-160P6S recently started having the same problem.
It writes fine, but cannot read DVD’s at all, neither the TY discs I burn (Yuden000T02) or even factory movies.
Its no big deal since I rip and quality check with my BenQ 1640, but I’m curious to know the cause.
Are there seperate lasers for burning and reading?
It’s got a lot of miles on it - I’ve burned several hundred discs in the approximately 3 years I’ve had it.
BTW it reads CD’s OK, just not DVD’s.

Post a logfile to get advice.