Can we speed up the internet?

One more question about the net…
Is it possible to speed up our broadband connection? Can we use any software for that purpose? Mine is supposed to be 256kbps-2mbps, but I usually get a download speed of only around 50kbps. How can we increase the speed?

Legally? Not really.

I suppose you could try one of the many download accelerator softwares that there are. I personally found them not much use though.

If your speeds are crap constantly, then I’d start looking for a new provider.

Please go to www.speedtest.net, run their test, and post the output here so we can see what your speeds are - when the test has run, there will be a link in [IMG] tags for you to copy’n’paste, and post to the forum.

Edit: Here is mine as an example:

there are many applications which claim to optimize your computer settings. some are free and some are pay. my favorite free app is tcp optimizer.

tcp optimizer is very easy to use,

[ul]
[li]select optimal settings [at the bottom]
[/li][li]move the slider to your advertised download speed
[/li][li]restart your computer
[/li][/ul]

i find better results selecting speeds slightly lower than the maximum download speed reported from my internet provider. in your case start at 2000. tcp optimizer makes a backup of all the changes made, so you can restore your settings.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Can you lay/hang fiber optic cable around the entire world?

Here’s my result:

Check your connection speed at one of the "check your speed sites"
If your connection is slower than you think it should be, reset your modem, router,ect. to see if that helps.
You may need to have your internet provider check your cables\connections to see if they are in good shape,also sometimes they (internet service provider) say your speed rating means up to a certain speed ie:256kbps-2mbps (read as: from 256kbs up to 2mbps) but your connection speed should not be below the the min. (256kbs) your provider may be able to tweak your connection speed at their end, but you will have to call them.
Rick

[QUOTE=Ayiramala;2220014]Here’s my result:
[/QUOTE]

Ouch. That download speed’s painful. You didn’t have anything like P2P or torrent software running when you did the test?

Do you have any other choice of provider where you are? Have you investigated whether your provider is currently having any problems?

Tanks Rick. I did check my connection soeed at speedtest.net. The result can be seen two posts above. Not very encouraging. May bwe I’ll try what you said.(get in touch with the provider).

[QUOTE=Arachne;2220023]Ouch. That’s painful.

Do you have any other choice of provider where you are? Have you investigated whether your provider is currently having any problems?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don’t. But the others in the neighbourhood who are using the same BSNL broadband, seem to get excellent speeds.

[QUOTE=Ayiramala;2220026]Unfortunately, I don’t. But the others in the neighbourhood who are using the same BSNL broadband, seem to get excellent speeds.[/QUOTE]

Ah, OK (I know the feeling - I only have one choice for broadband in my part of the city).

Well, as you’ve said it’s worth calling your ISP to see what’s going on :iagree:, because you’re certainly not getting your money’s worth at the moment.

@Ayiramala
What type of internet connection do you have? ADSL, Cable?

Edit:
Also the Speedtest.net server you used is given as Male. If that is Male capital of the Maldives then try another server on the mainland (even if it is further away), I expect the Maldives probably have limited bandwidth to the rest of the world.

I forgot to mention: My connection type is ADSl.

Are you using a router or a USB modem? If a router is it connected by a network cable or wireless?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2220276]Are you using a router or a USB modem? If a router is it connected by a network cable or wireless?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I’m using a router, and it is not wireless.

The manufacturer is UTStarcom, and the model is UT300R2U.

Can you post the connection statistics (sync speed, attenuation, snr margin, etc.) from your router please. It may be easiest to post a screenshot.

Will you please tell me how to collect these details?

Usually you can go to the router’s web pages to find the information.

I have just had a quick look through a manual for the UTStarcom UT300R2U and although it makes no mention of the connection statistics, there is a diagnostics option shown on the menu. Give that a try.

Edit:
The default IP address for you router is 192.168.1.1, the default user name is “admin” and the default password is “utstar” or “admin”. Type http://192.168.1.1 into your web browser and you should get a window asking you for the user name and password (if the router is set to the default IP address).

THanks Ibex, for spending so much time. I’ll see if I can find it; also I will try the diagnostic option.