Can we ditch the DVD transcode

vbimport

I may be way of beam here, but if I understand correctly, I record TV programs in compressed MPEG2 files. I then spend hours sometimes, editing and transcoding these files to DVD format. I am not too concerned to create flash menus and chapter marks for most of my recordings, just to ditch adverts etc, and watch a film. Yes I could watch it on my PC. More comfortable to watch it on the TV.

So the question is, could I drag and drop MPEG2 files to a DVD disc, and play them on a Philips DVP 5960 DVD player. I have seen reference to MPEG2 files on CDs, but not on DVDs.

Second question, could I copy MPEG2 files to a hard drive, connect it to the 5960 USB connector, and play those. I note that the 5960 uses Fat32 only.

Thanks for any help on this, before I waste my money.

MPEG2 is the same compression as is used in the DVD-Video standard, so you shouldn’t need to transcode or re-encode anything as long as the recording bit-rates match those of the standard. Some MPEG2 recordings may need some post-processing to re-establish the DVD-Video GOP structure, but that doesn’t require a lot of time.

How are you making these recordings, and what settings are you using for the bit-rate, and screen resolution?

Thanks imkidd57. I am in the UK and receive DVB-T transmissions at various rates, and compressions. Similar length movies can result in files from 2 to 4 Gbits in size, depending upon who transmits them, and how many channels they cram on to a mux.
I use Nero 6 to edit and burn to dvd. The recordings from some sources pass through the transcode process very rapidly, only the chapter points appear to cause any slowdown. Other sources have obviously been transmitted at different rates and compression standards, and Nero can take up to 4 hours to prepare these for DVD. If you put two movies on to one disc, this can be an 8 hour task. ( And that is with a 3.4 Pentium P4)

My PCs have decoders to play any of my recordings just as they were received. i.e MPEG2 at differing rates and compressions. It only takes a few minutes to burn 4GB of data to a dvd, and I have VideoRedo to remove the ads etc.

So all I am looking for is a stand alone player to hook up to my television, that can do the same job. The good lady is not going to agree to a desk top sitting in the lounge, and spoiling her interior design.

So back to my question. Anyone know if the Philips DVD player will do this please ?

Sorry for the extended time to reply… :o

I see what the problem is now. Rather than have Nero take the time to do all that re-encoding of the non-standard DVB-T MPEG2 files, you would like to burn the bare MPEG2 files to disc rather than author them as a DVD-Video. Then you need a player to play these back.

Looking at the Philips 5960 specifications, it mentions MPEG2 as a playable compression format and DVD or CD as a physical medium, but this could just be DVD-Video or SVCD (CD) and not bare MPEG2 files burned as data on a DVD. Usually the thing to look for in a player is the ability to play a VOB file (essentially a segment of the full authored movie but residing as a bare MPEG2); however the 5960 doesn’t appear to have this.

If you find a player that will read bare MPEG2 files, another problem is the size of the MPEG2 files permissible. As long as they are less that 2 GB then that should be fine, but otherwise they need to be burned to DVD using the UDF template of Nero. Even having done that, they may not be readable by a player past the 2 GB mark so you’ll need to author to DVD-Video in order to view them.

I also record a lot of stuff from Freeview, using Hauppauge DVB-T cards, and have found it’s best to make your life easier by using a good software TV/recording application. The Hauppauge WinTV2000 is rubbish, and couldn’t save a decent MPEG2 file to save its life. If you want something good then you should try DVBviewer, which cost about £10 and makes MPEG2 recordings that need no conversion when authoring to DVD. You may have to re-establish the group-of-pictures intervals on the recordings, but this can be done very easily since you already have VideoReDo and its Quickstream Fix utility.

In summary: I think your idea of saving recordings less than 2 GB as data on a DVD is good, providing you can find a player because I doubt that any of the currently available Philips models will do this. However you will probably have to consider authoring any files greater than 2 GB, and having a decent TV application for the PC will save you a lot of time. Can I ask which DVB-T card you use, and which software?

Hi imkidd57, thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I am looking for. In these days of HDD recorders, and PCs used as PVRs, it does seem strange to me, that there is not an abundance of players with decoders able to play bare mpeg2 files. The codecs obviously exist, since the recorders can play their own files.

I use a PCI Nebula DigiTV card, with a USB slave tuner, along with their software, on my main desktop. I also have an Avermedia DVB-T card on my standby PC. Needless to say I am much more impressed with the Nebula.

During my searches for mpeg2 players, I was surprised to find lots of personal recommendations for the Xbox 360. Do you know if this has the capabilities that I am looking for ? Ideally long term, I am looking for the Home Theatre situation, streaming from network attached storage. Regards, Portly.