Can the Sony DRU-500AX read DVD-Audio discs?

Can the Sony DRU-500AX read DVD-Audio discs?

Sony’s not a big fan of DVD-Audio with their big push of the SACD. I have an Audigy2, however, and love love love DVD-Audio. Sounds breathtaking.

Will the DRU-500AX read a DVD-Audio disc ok?

Thanks

Yes it should. Isn’t that what Creative is pushing with their Audigy 2? They say that you can play DVD-Audio discs in your dvd drive ( which the 500AX is ), if you have an Audigy 2.

Originally posted by Bhairav
Yes it should. Isn’t that what Creative is pushing with their Audigy 2? They say that you can play DVD-Audio discs in your dvd drive ( which the 500AX is ), if you have an Audigy 2.

“It Should” doesn’t answer the question. Since Sony does not want DVD-Audio to take off, it would be easy for them to write a firmware that ignores DVD-A. And many DVD-ROM drives do not correctly read DVD-Audio discs. Just because it’s a DVD drive doesn’t guarantee anything.

Does anyone that own this drive use DVD-Audio with it?

All right. Buy a DVD-Audio disc and try it. Don’t be paranoid enough to think that about Sony… but hey, who am I to stop you.

Originally posted by Bhairav
All right. Buy a DVD-Audio disc and try it. Don’t be paranoid enough to think that about Sony… but hey, who am I to stop you.

sigh

I am interested in BUYING the Sony but was asking someone who ALREADY OWNED it BEFORE I purchased it.

oy.

Originally posted by seanmcgpa
[B]Can the Sony DRU-500AX read DVD-Audio discs?

Sony’s not a big fan of DVD-Audio with their big push of the SACD. I have an Audigy2, however, and love love love DVD-Audio. Sounds breathtaking.

Will the DRU-500AX read a DVD-Audio disc ok?

Thanks [/B]

Well, I went out and bought one today. Yes, it can read DVD-Audio discs fine.

I just saw your post, but would have told you the same…that it does read them, rip them, write them (with the appropriate programs)…and yeah, the Audigy-2 does kick major ass!

BTW, that’s one helluva system you got there! Awsome…maybe the most loaded system I have seen. You must be running a 3rd country with that rig! :slight_smile: Now we just have to get some sweet Rambus and Radeon 9800 lovin for ya. Pisser to be stuck with that much PC-2700 DDR though for the long term.

Originally posted by PCStuff
[B]I just saw your post, but would have told you the same…that it does read them, rip them, write them (with the appropriate programs)…and yeah, the Audigy-2 does kick major ass!

BTW, that’s one helluva system you got there! Awsome…maybe the most loaded system I have seen. You must be running a 3rd country with that rig! :slight_smile: Now we just have to get some sweet Rambus and Radeon 9800 lovin for ya. Pisser to be stuck with that much PC-2700 DDR though for the long term. [/B]

Thanks :slight_smile: Rambus isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be … I had an older Xeon system with Rambus, the PC2700 in dual channel config actually gives me better bandwidth (according to Sisoft Sandra). The SuperMicro motherboard I have uses the Pc2700 in dual channel banks (similar to Rambus) for some really impressive bandwidth results.

What kind of 3DMark2001 score do you get published?