Can the Asus SBW-06D2X-U do BD scanning?

vbimport

If so, is it reliable? The only drives I can find here are Pioneer and Asus, and I already got a Pioneer 209EBK.

I haven’t seen any reports that it can scan, unfortunately. And I wouldn’t expect that any of the other drives you can find can scan. Just in case, are there other ASUS models available?

The Asus BW-16D1HT is available, but that’s an LG OEM AFAIK?

Is there a list of current models that CAN scan? That way I can just check the different local price check sites for stock. Or ebay…

First, try to find a LiteOn iHBS112. Or 212. Or 312.

Or the OEM version, DH12B2SH. Or a detuned OEM version, a DH8B2SH. These OEM models may be sold as replacements for Dell, HP, or Lenovo equipment (among others), so any listings may not explicitly say “LiteOn”. You may also find that the listings say PLDS, which is the formal name for LiteOn at the moment (Philips & Lite-On Digital Solutions Corporation).

Or rebadged versions, including Teac BD-W512GSA. Plextor PX-LB950SA. Plextor PX-B950SA. Optiarc BD-5300S. Sony BWU-500S. Memorex MRX 800L. HP bd335i. HP bd340i. Asus BW-12B1LT. Asus BW-12B1ST.

That last Asus (12B1ST) can either be a rebadge of a LiteOn, or a rebadge of an LG which should be able to be crossflashed to a firmware which can scan (no jitter).

Also, there’s a possibility that the BW-16D1HT you listed can be crossflashed to that same LG firmware version, but I can’t guarantee that.

Otherwise, a slim drive that was recently discontinued (because the manufacturer exited the ODD business) is the Samsung SE-506CB. You can also get the slim internal SN-506BB & find an appropriate enclosure. An older internal half-height Samsung COMBO drive (BDROM/DVDRW, no BD writing), SH-B123L, exists. Again, these drives don’t support jitter scanning.

And, ignoring the whole situation where older LG 14x & 16x drives are based on hardware compatible with a firmware that supports scanning (but newer builds aren’t compatible with that firmware)(this is the same thing I mention about the Asus drives above), that’s about all of the drives I know of which scan BD media & are somewhat trustworthy.

Thank you Albert for the comprehensive answer, it’s appreciated. :slight_smile:

Would the BW-16D1HT require cross flashing to scan or do it out of the box if it’s the LiteOn version?

Edit: Sorry reread what you wrote and the answer is already there. My bad!

Edit2: And to make matters even worse for myself, you were referring to another Asus drive lol, sorry! I guess posting at 1am is a bad idea…

Thanks again! I’ll look at the list more thoroughly tomorrow. Looks like a LiteOn proper second hand or old stock is the way to go but we’ll see.

Just to help clear that up, and add a lil more info:

For any of the LiteOn drives (OEM, rebadged, or official), you shouldn’t have to crossflash.

For the Samsung drives, no crossflashing.

For the LG drives, since I didn’t list it out, you have to do crossflashing. Models where older builds support crossflashing:
[ul]
[li]All BH16, WH16, BH14, WH14 ending with “NS40” made before a certain date (made before 2015). There are new variants which end with NS50 or NS55 which do not support crossflashing. There are also new variants of the NS40 models which are actually NS50 models, just with the older model name…And because they are NS50 hardware, the firmware for crossflashing won’t work.
[/li][li]BE14NU40: external drive likely to be based on NS40 hardware, with support for crossflashing to the necessary firmware. Seems to have been replaced with a BE16NU50, which…You can imagine that it’s the unsupported NS50 hardware.
[/li][li]BH16NS48 exists, and is likely guaranteed to support crossflashing (only one generation of hardware used this model name).
[/li][li]WH16NS48 exists, as a special variant which supports scanning. It is from this drive that people got the firmware for crossflashing. It is hard to find, and is sold as either WH16NS48DQ or WH16NS48DUP.
[/li][li]Asus BW-16D1HT, BW-14D1XT, and LG-based BW-12B1ST… The 16x model can be either NS40 or NS50 hardware (hence no guarantee for crossflashing). 14x and 12x models are almost guaranteed to be the older NS40 hardware with support for crossflashing.
[/li][/ul]

Unless explicitly mentioned, the models above are generally INTERNAL drives. External variants exist for many, not all.

For the LiteOn drives, model numbers shift as follows, if an external version is available.
LiteOn: change “iHBS” to “eHBU”.
Plextor: PX-LB950UE or PX-B950UE.
HP: “i” changes to “e”.
Teac: no known external variant.
Sony & Optiarc: no known external variant.
Memorex: ends with “LU” rather than “L”.
ASUS: BW-12D1S-U (may not be a LiteOn model, but the only other option is a LG. I assume. I don’t think they rebadged a Pioneer model for an external drive.)

…You know the Samsung external models, and the LG external models. That should cover it.

Found a Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD for a reasonable price, thanks again. I think I’ll scour the list some more tomorrow though. Thanks again!

BTW: Does ODC support scanning BDXL media? I think I remember seeing that the graph only shows up to 50GB. Not that it’s important, I doubt I’ll ever use larger than BD-DL anyways.

[QUOTE=Qyngali;2787151]Found a Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD for a reasonable price, thanks again. I think I’ll scour the list some more tomorrow though. Thanks again!

BTW: Does ODC support scanning BDXL media? I think I remember seeing that the graph only shows up to 50GB. Not that it’s important, I doubt I’ll ever use larger than BD-DL anyways.[/QUOTE]

ODC does not correctly support BDXL at all, nor does the older CD-DVD Speed/DiscSpeed.

Nor do the other popular bits of software.

I cannot remember at the moment what does (one of them is supposed to, I think), but we’ll cross that bridge if/when you need it.

I’m deeply impressed that i become more Information from the last 3 comments from Albert rather then i read threads and posts from the last 2-3 weeks.

Many thanks…

Agreed!

Very informative indeed, thanks!