Can\'t read second layer phillips DVD (Lite-On SOHW-1633S)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SOHW-1633S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi

I’m having a problem with a particular DL disc. It was burned with Nero in the summer of 2006 and has since been stored in a cool dark cupboard as it was part of a music archive. It was only when moving these discs to an external hard drive that I noticed this problem;
The disc only runs to 50% or sector 1960848 (layer transition problem?) before freezing. Any attempts to read the disc from this point onwards result in CRC errors or the code 03/15/02 which ISObuster describes as a laser positioning error.
CloneCD does exactly the same and there seems to be a gap of 32 sectors between each read error.
The disc was created in one session, with one track and the disc is closed. Format is UDF and the disc contains 2 WinRAR files and a WinRar.exe
I’ve put this disc in various PC’s and laptops running everything from Win98 to Ubuntu. It’s clearly a media problem rather than a dodgy DVD drive.
Any Ideas?

Drive used to burn disc was a Lite-on SOHW-1633S

Disc type: 14 (DVD+R DL)
Manufacturer ID: PHILIPS
Manufacturer: Philips
Media Type ID: CD2
Media revision no.: 00h
Capacity: 7.47 GB (8,031,600,640 bytes) / LBA: 3BD710h

The only thing left to try is a good DVD reading/ripping drive, but you may not have access to one, or even know if you do. Can you find a computer with a Samsung DVD burner or DVD-ROM drive? A BenQ would also be a good choice, but once again, I have no idea what you have access to.

I assume by now you know to use nothing but Verbatim DL media for archiving.

Yes I realise that now:) At the time though I was new to DL media. I believe I now somebody with a Samsung drive so I will try it there.

Currently I have access to a Lite-on SOHW-1633S and a Pioneer BDC-s02BK

The discs were also tried in a Freecom unit and various laptops.