Can someone tell me how to do this on a mac?

vbimport

I’m a new mac convert, had a PC all my life but bought my first macbook last night. One of the things I’m having to do now is figure out what software on the mac can do the equivilent of what I had been doing on the PC. I’m hoping someone here can help me with this particular situation.

My church has been doing a sermon series that involves watching movie clips, and I’ve been in charge of editing and arranging the clips needed. I’ve been using DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD to rip the dvd to my hard drive, then DVD Shrink to reauthor the movie and pick start and end frames so I only ended up with the exact clips we needed. Then I used Dr. DivX to convert the newly edited VOB files into individual DivX files. So what I was left with was a DivX file for each clip.

The problem is none of the software I’ve been using is available for the mac, and since this is my first mac I have no idea what the equivilent would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have just changed religions, good luck with that. I have heard people say they have done it but I have not seen it.

[quote=smurray27;2054005]I’m a new mac convert, had a PC all my life but bought my first macbook last night. One of the things I’m having to do now is figure out what software on the mac can do the equivilent of what I had been doing on the PC. I’m hoping someone here can help me with this particular situation.

My church has been doing a sermon series that involves watching movie clips, and I’ve been in charge of editing and arranging the clips needed. I’ve been using DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD to rip the dvd to my hard drive, then DVD Shrink to reauthor the movie and pick start and end frames so I only ended up with the exact clips we needed. Then I used Dr. DivX to convert the newly edited VOB files into individual DivX files. So what I was left with was a DivX file for each clip.

The problem is none of the software I’ve been using is available for the mac, and since this is my first mac I have no idea what the equivilent would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]
My advice would be to take the Apple back to store and buy a real PC. Only joking, but its true, most of this software will not run on a Mac, you have to read about the programs before you buy them, they all say what the requirements are.

You didn’t state if it’s an Intel based Mac or not. Here are some clues if you still want to use your old Windows programs.

There is an old project, Darwine to get Windows programs to run on a Mac.

For Intel based Macs, it might work to use Wine.

There is also a commerical program that will work like Wine, CrossOver Mac allowing you to run your old Windows program.

AnyDVD will not work with these programs, but DVD Decrypter works fine.

For Intel Macs you simply use Bootcamp to do a parallel install of Windows XP which you can use till you have found equivalent programs for Mac OR use VMWare to run XP in a virtual machine.

[QUOTE=smurray27;2054005]
[/QUOTE]

IANAL

Don’t mean to be the judgmental type, but if you’re needing to decrypt these movies, then they’re likely copyrighted. Which, assuming you’re in the US, is likely violating the “public viewing” clause that prohibits public viewing (watch the FBI warning), which is what viewing in front of a group (congregation/class).

Just throwing it out there for the ol’ moral compass… If these movies don’t qualify, disregard :slight_smile: