Can someone reccomend me a soundcard & graphics card?

looking to spend:

Graphics Card : £50 ($80 or euros)
Sound Card : £30 ($50 or euros)

obviously its not much but at the moment both my graphics and sound are on board and am looking to upgrade. cheers, comments & suggestions r welcome.

ps: i live in the uk, if that makes a difference

GeForce 2 MX 400

Soundlaster Audigy 1

I’ve seen GeForce 2 Ti 64MB DDR graphics cards for sale in PC World for UK£50. I know a mate that had a 32MB DDR GeForce 2 and said that it handles every game he tried very smooth at 1024x768. It doesn’t support Bump mapping or Pixel shader like the higher end versions though. These two features are for life like graphics in software that supports them rather than faster performance.

Originally posted by studavis
[B]looking to spend:

Graphics Card : £50 ($80 or euros)
Sound Card : £30 ($50 or euros)

obviously its not much but at the moment both my graphics and sound are on board and am looking to upgrade. cheers, comments & suggestions r welcome.

ps: i live in the uk, if that makes a difference [/B]

Get one of the ATI Radeon cards and be sure to get a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live or Audigy series.

Originally posted by DawnLoader

Get one of the ATI Radeon cards and be sure to get a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live or Audigy series.

More specifically,

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro and Sound Blaster Audigy.

Audigy 2 yet over $100.

Get a Live 5.1 DE or Audigy 2. No big difference between Audigy and Live.

There are a few differences between the Live & Audigy cards in terms of its built in DAC (plus others not mentioned here):

Live: Up to 16Bit 48KHz with either 4 or 6 channels out
Audigy: Up to 24bit 48KHz with 6 channels out
Audigy 2: Up to 24bit 96KHz with 6 channels out

The Audigy would be the best if you intend to watch DVDs or listen to music with a good set of 5.1 speakers. I cannot see any advantage with the Audigy 2 unless you intend to listen to DVD-Audio.