Can someone help diagnose the cause of my connection problems?

vbimport

For over a week now, websites keep timing out, downloads break and I keep having to power down my modem and back on again or repair the connection via my PC and it’s not just on this PC, which means that I have a problem with my router or ISP. I don’t want to go to my ISP unless I know there is a problem with the connection itself, so I’m hoping that someone can help troubleshoot whether it is a problem with my modem or my ISP.

Any online tools that can diagnose? Any tools that can run checks on the modem, etc?

Hope someone can help! :s

How about first telling us what hardware you have and how its setup.
//Danne

Goddamit I did it again!

It’s a D-Link DSL-G604T router with Oz firmware (workaround for letting the DS and Wii connect - UK firmware doesn’t work). Eclipse 8MB connection. I live in the SW of the UK.

…and the computers.
LAN, WLAN?
Encryption etc
//Danne

OK (sorry for the late reply - long story).

-We have this PC, wired up to it from 15m.
-There is another wired one downstairs wired 2m from it.
-2x PCs upstairs in the kids’ rooms connected via wireless, with a 128 bit WEP key and only allowed MAC addresses can connect to the router.

I forgot to mention something extremely relevant - uTorrent still uploads and downloads and MSN Messenger stays signed even though the webpages refuse to load.

Simple, get a router with QoS and ditch the crappy D-Link.
//Danne

Well I’d like to fond what’s wrong with this one without having to spend money if possible!

It’s served me very well thus far.

It’s QoS most likely combined with under dimensioned hardware.
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2031567]It’s QoS most likely combined with under dimensioned hardware.
//Danne[/QUOTE]:bigsmile: sorry i had to laugh at that :doh:

Under dimensioned?

I would say go and check Dlink site and see what else you can look for as to why the slow down. I live over in the US and I used to have a DLink DSL modem and found out that my ISP had switched cause the Dlink modem was kicking on and off without warning, so they switched to another DSL modem manufacture. I had the similiar problem like your having in which sometimes it would cut off and then come back. I would definitely switch your modem. Are renting the modem or did you buy it? If rented tell them you want a different one that will work better cause your having problem with your Dlink. Also Utorrent I found out if your DN/UP to much files that will kill your browser from loading up and if it does make it load web pages very slow. You either have to choose to web browse or Utorrent to many pages loaded or mutilple DN/UP will slow your system down as well. Sounds like you need a faster Bandwidth or limit what is running. As well keep MSN off until you login into it as if you let it load auto or at startup it takes up valuable RAM that you will need for web browsing. Also they have a newer Messenger Live now that replaces the defunct MSN messenger. What O/S are you using as well?

@ groovemeister
Inadequate hardware, slow CPU and too little memory.
//Danne

[quote=groovemeister;2029996]For over a week now, websites keep timing out, downloads break and I keep having to power down my modem and back on again or repair the connection via my PC and [B]it’s not just on this PC[/B], which means that I have a problem with my router or ISP. I don’t want to go to my ISP unless I know there is a problem with the connection itself, so I’m hoping that someone can help troubleshoot whether it is a problem with my modem or my ISP.

Any online tools that can diagnose? Any tools that can run checks on the modem, etc?

Hope someone can help! :s[/quote]

so are we to understand this problem exists and is duplicated on every PC in use?
Try pinging with the -t option to a website and also try it to other pc’s to see where the connection breaks if at all, leave it going for ike an hour I would say
Also, has this been happeneing as of recently, or has this setup worked fine for some time?
And how old is the hardware used (router/modem)?
What firmware do you have running, is it the latest?
If the ping out test doesn’t break, I would say to blame the router first, and unfortunately you might get stuck having to replace it, but I am hoping you have out of date firmware and after looking at their list, there are many fixes over time for this model.

As I’ve said before, the DSL/Router he has is known to be very poor. If you want to spend more time on “fixing” it which most likely isn’t possible then have it your way.
//Danne

wire 1 pc up directly, spoof the wan address of the router to the ethernet port (assuming radius), and see if you still have trouble browsing from that PC. If yes -> ISP. If no -> router.

Why on earth would you “spoof” an IP-address?
Just release/disconnect (DHCP/PPPoE) and set it up correctly.
//Danne

Agreed, and FIX the DNS issues as well.

[quote=DiiZzY;2034112]As I’ve said before, the DSL/Router he has is known to be very poor. If you want to spend more time on “fixing” it which most likely isn’t possible then have it your way.
//Danne[/quote]

Yes, actually this is what I would like to do, members post here for various reasons, one most common I find is to get help troubleshooting their problems. If for every problem they are always told the equipment they own is junk, and they should get rid of it, then the forums here are really very much useless. So… if you have nothing more to contribute, please don’t write anything at all… this applies not just to this post but all your posts in my section going forward.

@ckin
nice to see you around again, and very nice piece of advice, I would not have thought of it

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2034733]Why on earth would you “spoof” an IP-address?
Just release/disconnect (DHCP/PPPoE) and set it up correctly.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

wan address -> hardware address

sorry, wasn’t clear. my ISP uses RADIUS.

@xtacy

thanks - good to have a little time again.