Can someone explain why speedpatching has gotten so much harder?

vbimport

Hello,

8 years ago, I wouldn’t have thought of myself as a “newbie”. I would find a speedpatched firmware, download it, and flash my drives. Hey presto.

A few years ago, it got a little harder. Now I had to download stock firmwares and patch them myself using myce.

Since I really only do this every few years when I set up a new computer, I have to say that in Feb 2013, for some reason, this is WAY harder than it seems like it used to be.

I have a Samsung SH-222BB. The stock firmwares don’t load into myce, they don’t load into the “Patch Utility Samsung” found on another page. I’ve extracted the .bin file with 7zip successfully, but no dice loading it into the patch programs.

After searching around for hours on the net, I am no closer to an answer on what I have to do to burn faster than 2.4x for a DL backup of the DVDs that I own. I have not been successful in finding a simple explanation on why this process seems to be more cryptic than ever.

After pooching a Plextor PX-810SA this afternoon by somehow not executing the completely non-intuitive speed patch process correctly, I went to find a new drive on the web.

First, I searched for which drives are the fastest and the most accurate with a Sata3 connection. All of the drives that seemed to have the best speeds seem to have been made in 2009. None of them were available on the site of the major e-tailer in the states, which rhymes with blue leg. The ones that seemed to be available were different versions, and I could not confirm if these specific models could be speed patched and RPC unlocked.

So, I am interested in asking you guys in the know - Why has this become so difficult? Who screwed it up and how?

Why can’t I search online and find someone on a forum saying, in plain English for someone who is a reasonably smart computer operator but not a PhD in Software development, “If you are considering a new build in 2013, we recommend drive X, available currently at y, because it is fast and accurate and has a Sata3 capable controller. If you use firmware z, and patch software q, followed by flashing software r, then you should be in business in 15min?”

I know there are a lot of very helpful people on the internet, and as such I believe there are people who would actually LIKE to post such an article or make such a post in a forum like this. I am wondering therefore why I can’t find any.

I have seen people bash newbies with language like “perhaps you’d like me to come over and install it for you” or “do a google search”, but you know, I have done a lot of google searching by this point. And I have built a few computers - I’ve even used mcse successfully. But my recent efforts seem to have been failures, and it seems like it’s harder than it used to be. Flashing firmware isn’t my life’s work - if it was, I’d probably be as good at it as you experts. I am VERY glad you experts are out there, but I am finding it harder to understand you lately. Everything seems to be very “nudge nudge, wink wink”.

What I want to do isn’t illegal. It isn’t even unethical. I just want to back up my own movies.

I just ordered two Lite-On IHAS124-04s, thinking I would be getting a reasonably fast and accurate drive that I could speed patch reasonably easily. Now when I look closer into patching firmware for it, I see that Most of the firmware for the 124 doesn’t have the -04 suffix, and/or specifies A,B,C, or D - none of which was specified on blue leg.

So I get the feeling that I’m having to roll the dice and hope that I might fumble my way to a decent rip and burn speed. I’m not sure why I should be feeling this way in 2013 after 3h on the internet?

What am I doing wrong? Or not understanding? Where can I get a clear drive recommendation for 2013 that should work and be supported by patching software? If there are such articles or guides, please link me to one, or shoot me an email.

I looked in the FAQ sections and read all the “read me firsts” but no dice.

The guide for “which 16x DVD burner should I buy?” was last updated in 2006 (!). Now we’re at 24x, and I can find lots of people saying they have x drive and it’s lightning fast, but it won’t be for ME if I buy it, because I’ll have rip lock on mine and there is no instructions on how to remove it, or if I can remove it at all for this particular model/revision.

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this,
ccm

no i cannot:)

[QUOTE=samlar;2677940]no i cannot:)[/QUOTE]

Clarity is a virtue. This post either means:

1. You don’t know the answer.
  2. You know the answer, but are forbidden to say d/t forum rules or other internet censorship.
  3. You’re just making a joke vis a vis the length and nature of my post.

I’m interested if the meaning is #2, and would appreciate any elaboration on that.

Otherwise, yeah, good one.

ccm

[QUOTE=coffeecupman;2677943]Clarity is a virtue. This post either means:

1. You don’t know the answer.
  2. You know the answer, but are forbidden to say d/t forum rules or other internet censorship.
  3. You’re just making a joke vis a vis the length and nature of my post.

I’m interested if the meaning is #2, and would appreciate any elaboration on that.

Otherwise, yeah, good one.

ccm[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you made your mind up already before asking or even coming here? And seeing the length of the paragraph and the read provides nothing that is very coherent to make sense to be of much useful help to address a specific question. So what are you trying to really do???

I am not sure that my post could have been interpreted as having made up my mind on any concept other than that I haven’t found a clear source of information yet. Nonetheless, I will break my post down, for coherency.

1. Are there some sort of rules against providing clear and easy information about how to speed patch modern drives that are available today?

2. If not, does anyone have a link to a post I have missed that will make the process of choosing a currently available drive easier?

3. Most of the models supported are old drives that cannot be bought save for ebay, etc. And many of the highest speed ones, such as the Samsung SH-S223F (from memory), seem to be going for higher prices, and were designed in 2009. Have there been no significant hardware improvements since 2009?

4. If the drives available today aren’t the specific model names of what is listed as supported in the patching programs, how is one supposed to know if A) their drive can be speed patched in the present, or B) should it be supported in the reasonable future?

Re: What am I trying to really do? I am trying to select the highest quality and, secondarily, fastest optical drive for backing up DL DVDs in 2013. I have also asked the question why this seemingly basic question is not easily answered on the internet.

ccm