Can someone explain these KProbe scans for me?

vbimport

Hey,

I have been having a HUGE amount of trouble with the DVD-R’s I bought (MXL RG01). I have finally managed to be able to burn readable disks and was wondering if someone could explain the scans to me, I have read the guide to understanding them but can’t really seem to grasp it.

Ok, the first scan below was run with the spped set to MAX, the read speed started at about 3x and slowly climbed to settle at 5.7x for the last 20% of the scan.

Here is the result which belongs with the first scan below:

Date : 10/12/2004 1:13:41 AM
Model : 1-0-0-0 F:LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S GSB6
Disc : DVD-R , MXL RG01 [Maxell]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 1715542
Sampling count : 81647
Errors : 3
PI Max : 157, Average : 88.01, Total : 1127257
PIF Max : 24, Average : 34.98, Total : 447751

The second scan I ran at 4x, here is the result which belongs to the second scan below:

Date : 10/12/2004 1:49:45 AM
Model : 1-0-0-0 F:LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S GSB6
Disc : DVD-R , MXL RG01 [Maxell]
Speed : 4x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 1715537
Sampling count : 80155
Errors : 0
PI Max : 155, Average : 89.72, Total : 1100818
PIF Max : 20, Average : 33.26, Total : 407995

Cheers.

How is your average PIF>highest PIF?
:confused:

Actually I cant understand these things but that did seem strange to me, I sat there and watched the both scans from beginning to end and the throughout the scan the current PIF never went above 20 so it is impossible for the average to be greater than the max.

Could there be a bug in the KProbe 2.4.2?

Suggest you use the “save” function in KProbe so you can post proper scan results images.

This old MXL -R media will typically produce higher error rates, especially burning and reading in that burner. Strat swaps will help the burn quality.

Hey,

This is the first time I have ever even looked at KProbe so I wasn’t aware of the ability to save, thanks for the tip.

What is a “strat swap”?

Cheers.

There is a sticky thread in the Lite-On forum about strategy swapping. Strat means write strategy. Also read about OmniPatcher.

Cool, I’ll check that out now. Thanks.

Wow, so now I need some help with write strategies. What exactly are they? I tried MXL RG02 for MXL RG01 and was then able to burn the disk @ 4x instead of 2x but this totally screwed the disk, so are write strategies just simply to do with speed or is there more to them? Can someone tell me how to actually effect a “strategy swap”, this way I will not be wasting time on doing the wrong thing. At the moment I have loaded GSB6 firmware into OMNIPatcher and double-clicked on MXL RG01 and then set it to MXL RG02, is this how strategy swapping works? or am I missing something?

Cheers and thanks for your help guys.

MXL -R media does not like over-speeding very much. You can try 4x strats, but still burn at 2x. Bottom line is that the 451 drive is not so good at -R burning.
I’m not sure if Omnipatcher has as recommended swap for RG01 media, but if you look through the related Omnipatcher and swap threads, you will probably see some reports on this media.

KProbe 2.4.2 is incorrect in its calculation of PIF average, for correct value version 2.4.0 shoud be used.