Can somebody confirm this is a bad disc for me please?

vbimport

I burned a DVD to near full capacity a couple of months ago. And when I tried recently to pull files off the disc the drive was very slow and noisy. I just did a “Quality Scan” with Nero 11 CDSpeed software and it produced the results shown in the embedded image. The media is a Memorex DVD+R DL.

The scan is not exactly good, mostly in the layer transition.

Did you do also a transfer rate test? If the disc can be read without problems in the layer break then the burn is acceptable.

However, memorex DL media are not the very best discs available, there is a quite high probability that it will become unreadable pretty soon :frowning:

No, I didnt perform a disc transfer rate test. The final speed is listed in the screenshot of the image I posted. Does that not count? Overall it read the disc at an average of 5.3x. I just downloaded and installed Nero CDSpeed today so I am not real familiar with it. Can I perform a disc transfer rate test with it or do you recommend another program to use?

[QUOTE=geno888;2659404]The scan is not exactly good, mostly in the layer transition.

Did you do also a transfer rate test? If the disc can be read without problems in the layer break then the burn is acceptable.

However, memorex DL media are not the very best discs available, there is a quite high probability that it will become unreadable pretty soon :([/QUOTE]

I have been studying the results displayed in the image I posted earlier and after reading your post about the layer break the image makes more sense to me now.

When you say the disc is not so good mostly “in” the layer transition would it be more accurate to say the disc quality is not so good mostly “after” the layer transition? The difference in the amount of errors before and after the layer break is like night and day. I am a complete noob with these types of scans and what not but the way you worded your message would lead a noob, like myself, to think that there is only bad quality in the disc for a moment, during the layer break, and then all is well again. But from just looking at the image, and the amount of PI errors after the layer break, it all looks pretty much downhill to me after the layer break.

And if you agree with the wording I have suggested of your comment, could I assume that the second-layer of a DVD is located on the outer sectors of the DVD?(Edit:Im pretty sure this isn’t the case now that I think about it). If this is the case, that the second layer is the outermost sectors of the disc, and they are mostly bad, what would cause this to be the case? Isn’t the DVD more unstable at the outer edges of the disc versus the smaller concentric sectors located near the center of the disc just because of the physical circumference of the outer sectors being bigger? Maybe the DVD is more wobbly at the outer edges than the inner edges, which could possibly be a fault of the drive itself and not the media?
The only problem with the theory I just stated is that I don’t have problems with 99% of other DVDs that I have burned using this same DVD-drive.
So, maybe my stated theory is somewhat correct, but obviously the fault cannot be dropped entirely on the DVD-drive. In the end, as you stated, the media must not be of the highest quality and only at the outer edges versus the inner part of the DVD. Odd.

Of course if I am completely wrong about the second-layer being on the outer edges of the disc then it must be that (Edit:This is what I believe is the case). both the first and second-layers of a DVD occupy the same flat area of a disc just at different heights on the DVD. This could mean that the second layer of the disc is of a lesser quality needing a more powerful laser wattage to read the second layer. Or maybe the second-layer of the DVD is of the same quality as the first layer but the DVD-drive laser isn’t putting out enough laser power to reach the second layer appropriately. Maybe my DVD drive just doesn’t read DVD-DL discs very well. When I said 99% of my other DVDs work in the drive thats true. But the majority of my DVD collection consists of regular single layer DVD discs and just a few, a single 15-disc box, of Memorex DVD+DL discs. And if I recall correctly, I’ve had more than a few unsuccessful burn attempts out of the 15-pack Memorex DVD+R DL discs I bought over 3 years ago.

*** EDIT: Follow-up question for anyone who might know
When the laser in the DVD alters it’s power and focuses on the second-layer of data does it return to the inner part of the DVD to read the data or does it read it backwards by simply staying where it’s at, the outer edges, and increasing its power? The way the image results of the scan disc are shown leads me to believe it does the latter but I am just guessing now.

Is the LiteOn the only drive you have? Geno’s right about the TRT - it’ll show how well the drive reads the disc - if there are any big dips in the read curve etc.

Sounds like your drive struggled a bit to pull the files off the disc, so it’d be interesting to see a TRT. :slight_smile:

The Transfer Rate Test is available in CDSpeed under the “Benchmark” tab.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2659427]Is the LiteOn the only drive you have? [B]Geno[/B]'s right about the TRT - it’ll show how well the drive reads the disc - if there are any big dips in the read curve etc.

Sounds like your drive struggled a bit to pull the files off the disc, so it’d be interesting to see a TRT. :slight_smile:

The Transfer Rate Test is available in CDSpeed under the “Benchmark” tab.[/QUOTE]

I have tried multiple times to do the “Benchmark” test on the disc in question using Nero CDSpeed and it keeps saying, “Error! COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR (052C00)”.

The “Disc Quality” test ran without any fuss. I ripped an .ISO image of the disc to hard disk yesterday using ImgBurn and it performed without a hitch.

Seems to me this disc is very moody.

[QUOTE=TheNutCracker;2659429]

Seems to me this disc is very moody.[/QUOTE]

I’d agree, and keep a backup :wink:

Double layer DVD+R is literally that. Essentially two 4.7GB discs bonded together. The laser begins writing at the hub on the first layer and when it reaches the end of writing to that layer, it begins burning on the second layer, writing back towards the hub. Write quality to the second layer can be diminished by irregularities in the thickness of the polycarbonate as well as quality of the semi-reflective layer and the dyes used. It is much too easy to make a very poor quality DVD+R DL since the disc design is more complex than a single layer. You can find info on double layers here and comparison of the two different disc designs used for them here.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2659432]Double layer DVD+R is literally that. Essentially two 4.7GB discs bonded together. The laser begins writing at the hub on the first layer and when it reaches the end of writing to that layer, it begins burning on the second layer, writing back towards the hub. Write quality to the second layer can be diminished by irregularities in the thickness of the polycarbonate as well as quality of the semi-reflective layer and the dyes used. It is much too easy to make a very poor quality DVD+R DL since the disc design is more complex than a single layer. You can find info on double layers here and comparison of the two different disc designs used for them here.[/QUOTE]

Very cool. That’s what the image lead me to believe since the green lined started very low, reached the top at the midpoint, and came back down. I guessed right it seems. Thanks for the confirmation and the links. Good information. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=TheNutCracker;2659435]Very cool. That’s what the image lead me to believe since the green lined started very low, reached the top at the midpoint, and came back down. I guessed right it seems. Thanks for the confirmation and the links. Good information. :)[/QUOTE]

I always thought it was a pretty cool trick, too :). Have you tried CDspeed 4.7.7.16 or optidrivecontrol for a TRT? I didn’t see mention of your burn speed. I recommend 4x.

Incidentally, Verbatim is the only one making that more costly 2P design DL. Your discs and others are IS.

I just downloaded and installed Nero CDSpeed from their website this week. It’s version 7.0.2.100. So that’s all I have tried so far.

The Memorex DVD+R DL blanks I have show 8x stamped on the top of the disc. I have done all my burns on a Lite-On iHAS124. So I am guessing that 8x is the burn speed of all these DL discs. I don’t make it a practice of setting the burn speeds. But if setting the burn speed below the speed they were actually designed and marketed for sale at will produce better quality and more successful burns I am all for it. I’ll try my next DL burn at 4x. I don’t burn a high volume of discs. Still got about 4 DVD+R DL blanks left out of the cakebox I bought about 3 years ago.

By all means download and try the CDspeed I linked to, and grab ODC if that does not work. I’ve burned 1000’s of DL’s, and I can tell you that 99% of the time 99% of DLs will burn better at 4x or less. Only very good quality DLs will yield good burn quality at 8x. Please do try it.

The 8x speed on that packaging is Marketing. The actual quality of the discs generally falls short of the design;)

And normally even the discs that burn good at 8x will burn better at 4x.