Can SOHW-1633S burn 16X dvd-r?

vbimport

Something of a newbie… ploughed thru previous threads & got v. confused…

my question: I have a few months old SOHW-1633s which burns 8x DVD’s fine. I just bought Verbatim 16x DVD-R - thinking these would be OK - but it won’t burn them even at 4x burn - I get “illegal disc” “023005”.

Will any new firmware or any other method enable me to burn these discs or other 16x discs (at any speed)?

My system is Athlon XP 1800 - Win XP.

Many thx for any help.

Flash your drive to 1653S firmware CS0P. This should allow you to burn that media at 12x. The firmware will need to be crossflash patched or you can use the [thread=112103]EEPROM Utility v3[/thread] to make your drive into a 1653S, so you can use official Liteon Firmware or our stock 1653S firmware :). Make sure you check out the OmniPatcher as well…

Hi - I used the EEPROM utility to upgrade the drive to 1653s. But then the Liteon upgrade firmware DR16CSOP - gave me “No matching drive detected” “Detected drives… 1633s”.

And when I tried to burn a normally dependable 8x disk to check the drive it immediately gave me a burn error “\H1 T1” (never had before).

What do I do now?! Thx for attention

Hi - I used the EEPROM utility to upgrade the drive to 1653s. But then the Liteon upgrade firmware DR16CSOP - gave me “No matching drive detected” “Detected drives… 1633s”.

The very first time you flash using an official flasher after using the EEPROM Utility, you must use FlashFix! After that, you won’t have to.

See this:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=109986#adv-cf_ff

many thx! - this guy knows his stuff… drive now registers as writing 12x in Nero - but seems only marginally faster - about 10min as opposed to previous 10 1/2- 11 min burn for 8x - thx again

er… that’s 10min on a 16x disc vs. 10 1/2min on an 8x disc

Nero tends to spend quite a bit of time loading it’s buffer and leaves the drive in a buffer underrun state while it does it, which slows down the burn. With lots of small files or a badly fragmented drive, it is much worse.

If you are prepared to waste a disc, try a burn using Nero CD/DVD Speed create data disc. This will give you a much better indication of how the drive is burning that media at 12x ;).