Can simple disc analysis prove whether or not a dvd is completely readable?

vbimport

I have about 30 store bought DVDs. I know that several (maybe most) of them are damaged to the point of unreadability. I’d like to find out exactly which ones are unreadable.

My original plan was to open each disc in a DVD encoding program, and if the analysis completed 100%, I would know it was undamaged. I asked a friend if this was a good idea, and he said he wasn’t sure if the analysis proved the entire disc was readable.

I could play each DVD in it’s entirety, or rip each one to ISO without any compression, but that would take too long.

My question is, if the quick analysis in a DVD encoding program doesn’t detect any errors on a DVD, does that mean that that DVD has no readability problems in any part whatsoever?

Hello all. First timer.
Recently invested in Full HD LCD and a new dvd player to play them at full resolution. Having problem. Burnt dvd’s after a short period of time start skipping, stopping and not play at all. Why? Can I get a program that burns dvd’s to play at full resolution?

@Lughaidh
If you owned AnyDVD you could run CD-DVD Speed on the disc (open the program up > Scan Disc). I always do this when I bring home a new DVD just to make sure I did not buy a dud disc.

For this to work, you must have AnyDVD running in the background at its default settings.

Of course this isn’t a 100% solution, your drive may be the source of the problems. Who knows :wink:

Hi Lughaidh, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

The only way of knowing that everything on a disc can be read is to read everything on that disc. There are no shortcuts, although any program that only reads art of a disc and fails will prove the disc isn’t fully readable.

So you either have to rip the entire disc, test readability with CDSpeed as suggested, or use some other tool that reads the whole disc. Playing the entire disc is not necessary and is not the best way to determine readability and certainly not the fastest.

[quote=Stinky76;1996415]Hello all. First timer.
Recently invested in Full HD LCD and a new dvd player to play them at full resolution. Having problem. Burnt dvd’s after a short period of time start skipping, stopping and not play at all. Why? Can I get a program that burns dvd’s to play at full resolution?[/quote]
Hi Stinky76 and welcome to the forum, please do not post your question in another thread that another user started unless it pertains to the same issue, you can start your own thread and people will help you. This is called hijacking a thread. Thankyou.