Can RITEK S04 Be Trusted?

Last week, the 25-pack of TDK 8x DVD+R DL was on sale at Office Depot for $20, and I had a $10off$20 coupon that was burning a hole in my pocket, so I grabbed one for $10 after coupon. I’ve never used this MID before, since normally, I only use Verbatim or Sony MIS DL media (MKM 001). However, since the media was cheap, I figured I could take a chance, just to see how poorly it would do. With the exception of a spike here or there, my best burns are at 4x, and they look similar to the scan below (6x and 8x burns are not so hot).

Is it acceptable? Would you trust it’s longevity? Is anyone getting better results with a Pioneer?

That is a decent looking scan for Ritek S04 media but… I have no faith what-so-ever
in the longevity of any Ritek media anymore, not after getting burned so badly on the
old G05 disc’s data loss fiasco a few years ago. :sad:

[QUOTE=getit29;2245000]not after getting burned so badly on the old G05 disc’s data loss fiasco a few years ago. :sad:[/QUOTE]

They still do that nowadays >.>

As for the S04, I’ve been using them for a couple months now (burned on an Optiarc 7200a/s). Hardly any coaster and I’ve yet to see a disc stop working. I guess time will tell.

I don’t trust Ritek either, but it’s the only printable DL media you can get in my country.

I had similar results with S04 in my Pioneer 115 burned with 4x, sold as Philips DVD+R DL 8x in a 10 pack spindle.
The same MID from Memorex in a 10 pack spindle was absolutely crap!

I tried them under Maxell and Philips brand. I burned them with LG and Lite-ON. Oldest is one year old now, and it still works OK (Philips one). I had coaster with one Maxell burned on Lite-ON. Disk was burned OK, but it was not readable on any of my drives.