Can read DVDs but can't read CDs? Matshita UJDA765aDVD/CDRW

Hi,
hoping someone can help me out. I’ve not been having any problems with my HP Compaq NC6220 notebook’s Matshita UJDA765aDVD/CDRW drive until today. I was able to play CD-R discs 3 days back, but today, all CD-R discs as well as original music CD discs are not recognised by the Matshita drive.

I can put in original game DVD discs or movie DVDs and their contents will be displayed via autorun, but not DVD+R discs.

I deleted lowerfilters (didn’t have any UpperFilters) and uninstalled the drive, rebooted to see if it can reinstall the drivers. All to no avail.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Device Manager shows no problems whatsoever (no yellow triangle with exclamation mark). The DVD drive is visible in device manager, again without conflicts or problems.

The only thing I did that might have caused the problem is the 9 odd MS security updates that were issued this/last week.

Please, if anyone can help out, I’d really appreciate it. Am at wits end on what else can be done? I did a system restore to before the updates were installed, but no luck there either. I’m running Windows XP SP2.

Any help greatly appreciated!

saidean