Can Read, but cant burn

vbimport

I have a Philips SPD6002T cd/dvd burner and player. Its been working fine for about 6 months and now when i go to burn songs to it or data to it, a message pops up and says theres a error but doesnt say whats wrong. When you go to burn something u cant hear it working like you normally do, if not it makes no sound. It can read games fine. Games music data all fine, but just cant burn anything any more. Whats the problem? Thanks.

I tryed it at 1x speed but still doesnt work.

Is there any start up programms i need for the dvd burner. Ive disabled a few by going “msconfig” command in run but i think i havent touched it since i got it till now.

I have the latest drivers, firmwire updates. Am i surpose to have it on master or slave? I only have 1 dvd burner, floppy drive and 2 usb ports and a 40gb hard drive if you need to know. thanks

Ive tryed burning a folder to a cd with Imgburn but it only got to buffer 23% and nothing worked. i tryed to stop the burning buy nothing worked and also the cd drive woulndt open so i had to reboot the computer. Any ideas? maby phyiscally reinstalled the cd drive?

also i read in the manual, it says either choose slave or master. Which one am i surpose to of choosen when installing the drive? my last dvd drive was on cable select so i put the new dvd drive on cable select. it stopped working 6 months later. ive put it now to master, the computer still detects it but still doesnt work. Could some 1 explain to me what im surpose to have it on cable select, slave or master? and whats the best? thanks

[QUOTE=BackNBlack;2153506]also i read in the manual, it says either choose slave or master. Which one am i surpose to of choosen when installing the drive? my last dvd drive was on cable select so i put the new dvd drive on cable select. it stopped working 6 months later. ive put it now to master, the computer still detects it but still doesnt work. Could some 1 explain to me what im surpose to have it on cable select, slave or master? and whats the best? thanks[/QUOTE]

ide cables have three connections

[ol]
[li]master
[/li]
[li]slave
[/li]
[li]motherboard
[/li][/ol]

the two ends are master and motherboard, the middle is slave. general recommendation is to use master if available. i can say from my experience cable select has not been an issue. when i have had problems with a drive, ive changed the master, slave position with no difference in performance. though i can see a potential problem if the jumper is set incorrectly. :slight_smile: [ie… jumper set slave, cable set master, with another drive connected.]

from the motherboard to the dvd burner the ide cable reads first motherboard then slave, then has the white bar then says master going to the dvd burner(with the dvd burner on master)

Before (premade bought a shop) it was on cable select, and ive switched it to master. Do i need to make sure that no other hard ware is connected with a master ide cable?

plus the floppy drive ide cable has a tear down the middle of it. Just noticed. Should that matter? dont think it works as it cant read 1 when i put it in.

One other question if the dvd burner i have can read cd’s and dvd’s fine but fails to burn a cd or dvd, may it be the the burning laser has died. Is this possible?