Can putting in new RAM cause me to get a virus

vbimport

I just put in new RAM into my computer a few months ago. Is it possible to get a virus from that. As Sky have disconnected me as they say i have been hacked etc… grage a virus… blah blah blah…

Can it be the RAM???

No, installing ram will not cause a virus infection in your computer.

You’re much more likely to have gotten from an attachment to an email, or from a download or from clicking on something at a website.

You can run an antivirus to get rid of it, like the free Microsoft Security Essentials, or Avast. You can also run Malware Bytes malware program. But the only certain way to get rid of a virus infection is to save your data, then format and reinstall the operating system.

so it has nothing to do with the RAM… cheers…
So could it be someone hacking into my internet network? maybe from wireless network.?

Ive heard stories about people sitting outside your house and hacking into networks?

Sky has said that its from spam emails… where are they coming from?

Some people do leech onto other’s networks to access the net, but they are usually interested in using your bandwidth, rather than infecting your computer.

Spam emails are some of the most common sources of virus infection. There are whole networks of spambots…computers that have been taken over and used by hackers/criminals for various purposes. They look for credit card information, banking information, social security numbers…anything that can bring them a profit. Virus infection can be quite serious, so I strongly suggest wiping out this installation and reinstalling your operating system.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2524933]
You can run an antivirus to get rid of it, like the free Microsoft Security Essentials, or Avast. [/quote]Not really. Someone might be able to catch some virus or trojan, but the payload that has been installed will remain undetected.

But the only certain way to get rid of a virus infection is to save your data, then format and reinstall the operating system.
100% agreed.

Michael

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2524967]Some people do leech onto other’s networks to access the net, but they are usually interested in using your bandwidth, rather than infecting your computer.

Spam emails are some of the most common sources of virus infection. There are whole networks of spambots…computers that have been taken over and used by hackers/criminals for various purposes. They look for credit card information, banking information, social security numbers…anything that can bring them a profit. Virus infection can be quite serious, so I strongly suggest wiping out this installation and reinstalling your operating system.[/QUOTE]

THE most destructive thing a “wireless Leech” is doing on your unsecured ethernet connection is checking the status of whatever they happen to be bidding on on ebay.

And the most common detrimental effect is that IF you are home and IF you are on your computer and IF you are downloading a page it might make your page download a biut slower.

While it’s “possible” that a wireless leech is doing something more detrimental to you it’ll be by secondary effect… like a leech using YOUR unsecured ethernet to download copyrighted material and then you get a nasty RIAA or MPA about illegal downloads that you didn’t make… and as I say this is possible it’s actually less likely than your winning the lottery…

Twice…

In consecutive drawings…

AD