Can PLDS DH-8B2SH blu-ray writer drive burn dl bd-rs?

vbimport

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if my PLDS DH-8B2SH Blu-ray writer drive can burn dual-layer bd-rs. Does anyone know about this? I have tried various searches on Google and Yahoo and I’ve checked the Capabilities section of ImgBurn (ver. 2.5.8.0) for my Blu-ray writer drive, but I haven’t been able to find anything mentioning whether my PLDS DH-8B2SH drive can burn dual-layered Blu-ray writable discs. Does anyone know about this? ImgBurn doesn’t have dual-layer bd-r in their capabilities list, just bd-r and bd-r xl. I know that the drive can do dual-layer dvd-rs, but I can’t figure out if it can do dual-layer bd-rs.

I posted about this on the VideoHelp.com forum and they recommended posting on this site.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know if there is a software/program (or some sort of diagnosis tool) that can tell me if my drive can burn dual-layer Blu-ray discs?

Thanks.

Welcome. :slight_smile:

Did it come stock in a laptop? If so, which one?

It came stock with the desktop Alienware Aurora R4 pc model.

The description of the burner in that model Alienware is: [I]8X Dual Layer Blu-ray Disc™ Burner (BD-RE, DVD±RW, CD-RW)[/I]

If it has blu ray burning capability at all (not the BD-Rom drive in other words), then it should be able to burn to double layer blu ray.

But I’m not a Lite-on fan, or aficianado of any kind, so others may want to chip in with the normal behavior of Lite-on blu ray drives.

It bothers me that I can’t directly answer your question.

It is an offshoot of the iHBS112; that much I know to be a fact. And the iHBS112 can do BD-R DL; that I also know for a fact. What I do not know for a fact is whether, as-shipped, the BD-R DL capability was left enabled in the DH-8B2SH, but maybe speed-reduced.

I see no reason for them to disable it, especially considering it is marketed as dual-layer (making me think it supports all DVD+R/-R DL and BD-R/RE DL).

[QUOTE=Albert;2692453]It bothers me that I can’t directly answer your question.

It is an offshoot of the iHBS112. That much I know to be a fact. And the iHBS112 can do BD-R DL. That I also know for a fact. What I do not know for a fact is whether, as-shipped, the BD-R DL capability was left enabled, but maybe speed-reduced.[/QUOTE]

If it wasn’t enabled when Dell made the pc, is there a way to enable it now? Is there some sort of test I can do to see if it can do dual-layer bd-rs?

Try Nero InfoTool. Look at this page: http://www.myce.com/review/liteon-ihbs112-bd-rewriter-review-32890/features-and-writing-technology-2/

You’ll notice the checkmarks are in the right spots for the iHBS112. Nero InfoTool can currently be found on the Nero website. http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtopic=15326 The link is in the first post. (I point to that post instead of the main Nero site because that version promises to be one of the newer versions that should support Blu-ray). If necessary, an older version can be found elsewhere.

[QUOTE=Albert;2692456]Try Nero InfoTool. Look at this page: http://www.myce.com/review/liteon-ihbs112-bd-rewriter-review-32890/features-and-writing-technology-2/

You’ll notice the checkmarks are in the right spots for the iHBS112. Nero InfoTool can currently be found on the Nero website. http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtopic=15326 The link is in the first post. (I point to that post instead of the main Nero site because that version promises to be one of the newer versions that should support Blu-ray). If necessary, an older version can be found elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Okay, the saved .txt file from Nero InfoTool has the drive type listed as “Type : Blu-ray Rewriter DL” and the actual results in InfoTool say that it writes/burns BD-R DL and BD-RE DL discs, however, the .txt file it saved doesn’t have anything in regards to DL BD-Rs. It’s kinda weird. I’m guessing that, since in InfoTool itself, it showed that the drive is DL compatible, that it really is compatible. I just don’t understand why the saved .txt file doesn’t have any DL BD-R section in it (in terms of DL, the only disc types listed in the results are HD DVD and DVD). What do you think is correct?

Update: When I tried testing the speed of the drive with a blank DL BD-R TDK (which I know is really poor quality, but it’s the only DL BD-R I have), it says that the disc inserted in the drive is not a supported media disc. I know I’ve tried burning several DL BD-R TDK discs with this PC, but they all fail rather quickly during the burning process. I don’t have any other DL BD-Rs to test with InfoTool, so I’m not sure if this means that the TDK discs are just really poor quality and can’t be read/burned properly or if my drive just doesn’t support DL BD-Rs. What do you think this means?

Hmm…let’s see…

How did you “test” the speed? With an actual write?

What is it that tells you it isn’t supported?

And what error do you get when you try to write?

Is the drive on its latest firmware?

The 112 can get the job done, but it doesn’t make the absolute best discs in comparison to some other BD-RE drives. So if the drive actually factually supports BD-R DL, it could just be the media. What’s the disc manufacturer ID (MID)? ImgBurn will show you this once you’ve inserted a writable disc in the drive, and also saves this information in its burn logs by default.

[Sorry for all the questions. Just want to cover all the bases.]

Just a side note Albert, but you know drives better than me. Do you recall [B]any[/B] blu ray drives that lack the ability to burn to DL BD-R media?

It was my impression that the manufacturers sidestepped the problems we saw in early dvd burners by making this a default capability.

The MID is: TDKBLD-RFB-000 in ImgBurn.

I didn’t actually test the write speed with InfoTool, I just inserted a blank TDK DL BD-R (it prompted me to insert a disc to check the support speeds), but it says “a disc with an unsupported disc type has been detected in the drive” (could this be because it was a blank disc?).

I am trying to burn a TDK DL BD-R now. This iswhat ImgBurn said during the failed burning process (I used an .iso image file that was approximately 23.6 GBs for this test).

Failed to write sectors 0 - 31 - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
Retrying (1 of 20)…

… [NOTE: starts writing track 1 of 1 …]
[NOTE: At 13% progress, this pop-up error message appeared.]

I/O Error!
Device: [0:0:0] PLDS BD-RE DH-8B2SH SD12 (F:) (RAID)
ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Write (12) - Sectors: 1636896 - 1636927
Sense Area: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3E 02 00 00 00 00
SK Interpretation: Hardware Error
ASC/ASCQ Interpretation: Timeout on Logical Unit

23.6gb? That seems a touch big. Did you use the calculator in ImgBurn to estimate the image size and make sure it fit the disc? No warnings for this?

Power calibration errors often show up for incompatible media…not supported in the firmware, or not supported well.

The last error I’m less familiar with. May have to look it up.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2692468]23.6gb? That seems a touch big. Did you use the calculator in ImgBurn to estimate the image size and make sure it fit the disc? No warnings for this?

Power calibration errors often show up for incompatible media…not supported in the firmware, or not supported well.

The last error I’m less familiar with. May have to look it up.[/QUOTE]

I purposefully selected an .iso that was bigger than a 23.3 GB single-layer BD-R to make sure that ImgBurn could actually burn stuff onto the second layer of the disc (@ 0.3 GBs or so), however, it didn’t even get past 12% before failing with those errors (I’m assuming that the second layer wouldn’t be started until towards the end of the overall progress (or at least until 50%)).

I’ve had fails with this particular TDK brand disc several times so far with my PC. I got the discs about a year ago, but never really used them because they always failed to finish burning a disc (on my previous PC). I had original thought that my drive (on my previous PC) just couldn’t burn dl BD-Rs, but since it is also happening on my new PC (which I got @ a couple of weeks ago), I’m wondering if it’s just the discs that are bad.

Either way, I’m still not sure if my new pc can do DL BD-Rs. I guess since InfoTool says it does, then it does. What do you think about all of this?

Thanks.

:doh: :doh: Completely forgot about the DL bit!

Sorry about that. I’m so used to working with SL BD-R and I have that 23.3gb figure hammered in solid.

I think you have some poor quality DL discs. In your thread over at videohelp.com you mentioned that you were getting some Verbatim DL discs soon. I believe they should work for you.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2692471]:doh: :doh: Completely forgot about the DL bit!

Sorry about that. I’m so used to working with SL BD-R and I have that 23.3gb figure hammered in solid.

I think you have some poor quality DL discs. In your thread over at videohelp.com you mentioned that you were getting some Verbatim DL discs soon. I believe they should work for you.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I’ll try them when they arrive. I just wanted to be sure that the Blu-ray writer on my PC can do DL BD-R before I actually open the Verbatim package. Once I open it, I can’t return it. It sounds like it should work fine, so I’ll test one out when the package arrives. I’ll post here if there are any problems with the Verbatim discs. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. BTW, since they are shipping from Japan, it looks like it will take at least 2-3 weeks to arrive, so please leave this topic open until I test a disc then. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2692463]Just a side note Albert, but you know drives better than me. Do you recall [B]any[/B] blu ray drives that lack the ability to burn to DL BD-R media?

It was my impression that the manufacturers sidestepped the problems we saw in early dvd burners by making this a default capability.[/QUOTE]
No, I don’t recall any. At the very least, early LiteOn writers did (apparently) support it, looking back at reviews and specs. First-gen Pioneer writers might have not supported it, opting for SL -R and -RE only. (Those drives also didn’t support CD reading or writing). Second-gen Pioneer drives also seem to only support -R/-RE SL, but I believe 3rd generation 203 drives and up supported it, as did competitors’ products. That was back in late 2008, early 2009.

[QUOTE=KingKRool2002;2692472]Yeah, I’ll try them when they arrive. I just wanted to be sure that the Blu-ray writer on my PC can do DL BD-R before I actually open the Verbatim package. Once I open it, I can’t return it. It sounds like it should work fine, so I’ll test one out when the package arrives. I’ll post here if there are any problems with the Verbatim discs. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. BTW, since they are shipping from Japan, it looks like it will take at least 2-3 weeks to arrive, so please leave this topic open until I test a disc then. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

[Just to reinforce the thoughts]

Since the drive at least started writing to the DL media, you’ve a good sign. Hopefully the Verbatim DL will work. If not, I wouldn’t worry too much. If you ever need DL support, a newer drive from Pioneer might make a great companion to your LiteOn. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2692474][Just to reinforce the thoughts]

Since the drive at least [I]started[/I] writing to the DL media, you’ve a good sign. Hopefully the Verbatim DL will work. If not, I wouldn’t worry too much. If you ever need DL support, a newer drive from Pioneer might make a great companion to your LiteOn. :)[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. BTW, do Pioneer drives cost a lot?

Between 120 U.S. dollars and 70 U.S. dollars, depending on where you shop and which Pioneer drive you get.

[QUOTE=Albert;2692477]Between 120 U.S. dollars and 70 U.S. dollars, depending on where you shop and which Pioneer drive you get.[/QUOTE]

OK, that’s not that bad. Thanks for the quick reply.