Can Patch Utility for Samsung change ID string?

vbimport

Problem and Question:
Currently, as displayed in Computer Management -> Device Manager, I have two drives listed as “TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S182M” with USB Device appended to the second. Is there any possiblity that the Patch Utility can/could change the “TSST corp” part of one ID string to, for example, “Samsung”?

This is important to me because I use error-correction software/firmware for rewritable optical discs with a known bug (in the software part) that won’t allow it to initialize the second drive, as soon as it sees the first part of its ID string appearing to be identical to that of the drive it just initialized.

Anyway, I suspect this to be the problem’s cause, that it wants to avoid initializing the same drive twice. And, I also suspect the program doesn’t parse the ID string far enough to see “USB Device” at the very end.

The error-correction software under discussion is no longer in development, so asking for a bug-fix is out of the question. The only other alternative I can think of is to “fix” the firmware/hardware so the software bug is no longer an issue.

My error-correction software was previously working perfectly to initialize itself to two drives (two is the limit) when the two drives had completely different ID strings.

Is there any hope of using this patch utility, or do I just have to fire up the old hex editor? If I make the change the old-fashioned way, does Samsung’s flasher do a checksum, and will this upset it? Any ideas?

Hi,[quote=RonCam;2103071]Problem and Question:
Currently, as displayed in Computer Management -> Device Manager, I have two drives listed as “TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S182M” with USB Device appended to the second. [I]Is there any possiblity that the Patch Utility can/could change the “TSST corp” part of [B]one [/B]ID string to, for example, “Samsung”?[/quote][/I]AFAIK, no.

Is there any hope of using this patch utility, or do I just have to fire up the old hex editor? If I make the change the old-fashioned way, does Samsung’s flasher do a checksum, and will this upset it?
Yes, they have checksums, you might break the drive by using a firmware modified that way. A similar discussion took place in the Liteon burner forum recently: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/changing-name-247398/ . Similar applies to Samsung drives also.
Any ideas?
Flash one of these drives to Philips SPD6002T firmware.

Michael
P.S.: I moved this to a new thread

[QUOTE=mciahel;2103085]Flash one of these drives to Philips SPD6002T firmware.[/QUOTE]Thanks Michael!

Excellent idea. That way there’s no risk, and I see the Philips update will correct another problem that I had no idea I had. And, DLA will “see” a different drive.

I neglected to mention, the firmware error correction in the drive is of course Mount Rainier. A search of the CDFreaks web site does give an InfoTool report for the Philips drive, but as you can see it has been cut-off and doesn’t show the section with the Mount Rainier check-box. With your knowledge of both units, is the firmware identical, in this regard?

I’m reviewing the Philips site, and their documentation. Their flashing utility looks so similar to the TSST one, am I correct in assuming the -NOCHECK parameter is used here as well? This would allow the utility to run on a “foreign” drive, would it not?

This will be my first crossflashing experience, so excuse the extra caution!

Thanks again,
Ron

Hi,[quote=RonCam;2103141](crossflash to Philips firmware)

Excellent idea. That way there’s no risk, and I see the Philips update will correct another problem that I had no idea I had. And, DLA will “see” a different drive.[/quote]you’ll have to sacrifice Mount Rainier capability then. At least, Nero Info Tool reports Mount Rainier as not supported with Philips firmware.

InfoTool report for the Philips drive, but as you can see it has been cut-off and doesn’t show the section with the Mount Rainier check-box. With your knowledge of both units, is the firmware identical, in this regard?
Unfortunately not. I have attached a screenshot of Nero Info Tool for my 182D@Philips SPD2412T (which is the same as 6002T, but without Lightscribe).

I’m reviewing the Philips site, and their documentation. Their flashing utility looks so similar to the TSST one, am I correct in assuming the -NOCHECK parameter is used here as well?
I am not sure about the capabilities of the Philips flasher. I used the flasher from a Samsung firmware to flash the Philips firmware I extracted previously.
EDIT: The flasher that comes with SPD6002T firmware supports the -NOCHECK parameter, too. :slight_smile:

This would allow the utility to run on a “foreign” drive, would it not?
The -NOCHECK parameter will override any hardware check. You would even be able to flash a word document to the drive :wink: (Kids, don’t try this at home)

This will be my first crossflashing experience, so excuse the extra caution!
It’s better to ask twice :iagree: I assume, you have already read the FAQ and the “HowTo flash” article :wink:

Cheers,
Michael

Michael, thanks again.
With your detailed explanation, I’m ready to flash with confidence … [I]as soon as I can find some firmware that supports Mount Rainier! [/I] I would never have suspected that, of all companies, :eek: Philips, would pull Mount Rainier support. They’re the ones who invented it, no?

Can you, or anyone else, think of another drive that shares the same hardware but retains the firmware supporting Mount Rainier?

While disappointed in Philips, I’m grateful that you went to the trouble of running and posting the InfoTool readouts, so I didn’t have to go through the entire process and then get the bad news at the end, when testing my “new” Philips drive.

The whole object of this flashing exercise was to make DLA recognize the drive, and have it work under Mount Rainier, but that would be all for naught if after the flashing, the firmware is absent.

Going to read the “How to Flash” article now :o and will get back if more questions. I am hoping that somewhere out there there is a clone of my Samsung without the Mount Ranier stripped out, and then I will be “back in business.”

Hi,[quote=RonCam;2103295] I would never have suspected that, of all companies, :eek: Philips, would pull Mount Rainier support. [/quote]Now there is DVD-RAM which give much more capacity.

They’re the ones who invented it, no?
At least they contributed the logo.

Can you, or anyone else, think of another drive that shares the same hardware but retains the firmware supporting Mount Rainier?
The other condition was, to not have TSSTcorp in the drive name, if I remember correctly. Well then there is only Sony DRU-830 or 835 left. At least DRU-830 firmware is lacking MRW format also.

EDIT: Search for Mad Dog TS-H652M firmware. Might be difficult since Mad Dog is out of business, but worth trying. The drive reports itself as MAD DOG TF-DVDRW TSH652N btw.
No idea if MRW is supported.

The whole object of this flashing exercise was to make DLA recognize the drive, and have it work under Mount Rainier, but that would be all for naught if after the flashing, the firmware is absent.
Is there some software alternative?

I am hoping that somewhere out there there is a clone of my Samsung without the Mount Ranier stripped out, and then I will be "back in business."
Seems you are lost. But, are you sure, your software will check the first few characters of the drive name only? If not, you might try some TS-H652M firmwares from Samsung Korea website. At least TS-H652D KC03 still supports MRW, I expect the same for the Lightscribe variant TS-H652M KC03.

Michael

Michael, thanks for all the leads. This will give me a full day’s work, tomorrow to follow all of them.

I note that MAD DOG TS- (assuming an exact quote) contains the same number of characters as TSSTcorpCD/ … by coincidence? If all else fails … do you know what I am thinking?

To be continued in the a.m.,
Ron

Michael,[QUOTE=mciahel;2103308]Well then there is only Sony DRU-830 or 835 left. At least DRU-830 firmware is lacking MRW format also. [/QUOTE]Unable to locate InfoTool report for the 835a, but would assume no luck with the 835a if support was already dropped in a prior model.

Search for Mad Dog TS-H652M firmware. Might be difficult since Mad Dog is out of business, but worth trying. … No idea if MRW is supported.
Links to this file are dead, leading to a “parked domain.” And, you’re right, there would be no idea if it’s in or out, as I can’t find an InfoTool report for a drive having this firmware.
Is there some software alternative?
Not really. The most promising was DVD Write Now (it recognized and enabled writing/deleting from [I]both [/I]Samsung drives under Mount Rainier, [I]simultaneously![/I]) but it is in beta. The authors invite user feedback, saying they want the program to improve. But, after I sent a dump for analysis of an operating system crash that occurred while formatting a disc, and after several follow-ups, there was no acknowledgment … even after several months.

I hope it is not “abandon-ware” because the program has promise. The program (DWN) supports software-simulated UDF error checking (for drives without MRW firmware), and in running one mode consecutively after the other, my impression is that Mount Rainier operations are more “responsive.”

Seems you are lost.
Seems you have the gift of prophesy. :slight_smile:
At least TS-H652D KC03 still supports MRW, I expect the same for the Lightscribe variant TS-H652M KC03.
This may be the last hope. Are there InfoTool readouts for either, having this firmware, by way of a link? I was only able to find the second, TS-H652M, with CM00 firmware, and this is missing Mount Rainier.

Thanks again,
Ronald

Hi,[quote=RonCam;2103335]I note that MAD DOG TS- (assuming an exact quote) contains the same number of characters as TSSTcorpCD/ … by coincidence? If all else fails … do you know what I am thinking?[/quote]I have some rough idea, what you think about. There is a high risk to kill the drive as already discussed.

[quote=RonCam;2103511]Michael,Unable to locate InfoTool report for the 835a, but would assume no luck with the 835a if support was already dropped in a prior model.[/quote]DRU-835A is not newer than the 830. It’s just the sister model which supports Lightscribe. So apart from the LS feature, all other features are the same here.

[quote]TS-H652M KC03 (from Samsung Korea)
This may be the last hope. Are there InfoTool readouts for either, having this firmware, by way of a link?[/quote]I can confirm, TS-H652D KC03 supports MRW. There is no reason whay this should not be present in the 652M KC03. It is the same OEM (which is important with Samsung drives)

I was only able to find the second, TS-H652M, with CM00 firmware, and this is missing Mount Rainier.
This is a different OEM firmware for a different OEM customer. You should be able to find the link to KC03 in the firmware announcement thread. :wink:

Thanks again,
You’re Welcome!

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2103670]You should be able to find the link to KC03 in the firmware announcement thread. ;)[/QUOTE]Yes, I was having difficulty in locating the file, but now I have downloaded it (TS-H652M_KC03.exe) and will apply it to one of my SH-S182M drives with the -NOCHECK option activated.

I foresee only one potential problem, that you anticipated: how far down the drive ID string does the DLA utility parse? That answer no one will know, until the drive is flashed, the system reboots and I see the DLA Tab in the drive’s Properties Box.

DLA’s README.TXT warns the utility will fail to initialize a second drive, if it is identical, [I]or substantially identical[/I], to the first. Unfortunately Samsung has seen fit to put the unique part of the ID string at the very end, and not the beginning. I take DLA’s (Roxio’s) warning (in italics) to mean their utility doesn’t parse very far.

Should KCO3 create an ID string with a similarly “generic” front-end, and if DLA still fails to differentiate between the two drives, I am once more faced with altering the beginning of the ID string on one drive. Having read the comments you directed me to, on what appears to be some form of Patch Guard built-into recent drives, I won’t do this without expert advice.

I do have some ideas on a work-around, but it depends on how rigorous the checksum algorithm is, on TSST drives. If it comes to that, unless you say otherwise, I think it will be best to start a new thread to explore these ideas, with a revised title to reflect the new direction, as we will have taken the firmware-substitution remedy to its conclusion.

Hope I have good luck,
Ron

Hi,[quote=RonCam;2103924]Yes, I was having difficulty in locating the file, but now I have downloaded it (TS-H652M_KC03.exe) and will apply it to one of my SH-S182M drives with the -NOCHECK option activated.[/quote]A good alternative anyway since this firmware doesn’t suffer from the lead-in issue Samsung didn’t wnat to fix with their retail firmwares :frowning:

I foresee only one potential problem, that you anticipated: how far down the drive ID string does the DLA utility parse? (…) I take DLA’s (Roxio’s) warning (in italics) to mean their utility doesn’t parse very far.

Should KCO3 create an ID string with a similarly “generic” front-end, and if DLA still fails to differentiate between the two drives, I am once more faced with altering the beginning of the ID string on one drive. Having read the comments you directed me to, on what appears to be some form of Patch Guard built-into recent drives, I won’t do this without expert advice.
What about getting rid of DLA and trying InCD from Nero.com? You might start a new discussion in one of the software forums about this. IMO the better option than to play around with a “selfmade” firmware that might render your drive useless.

I do have some ideas on a work-around, but it depends on how rigorous the checksum algorithm is, on TSST drives.
It is rigorous. It took a long time until patched firmwares submerged.

Michael

:clap:
Thank you very much, Michael! There are now two functioning Mount Rainier drives on my system.
No need, now, to worry about how to hand-edit (or, MCSE-edit) the drive’s ID string.

I flashed to the Korean firmware you located, and after the obligatory reboot, looking at the Properties box of each drive showed that both were now recognized, and a bit of testing, by copying and moving files between the two drives, confirmed normal operation.

Roxio’s tech support had reached a “dead end” in trying to solve the same problem. I hope this thread will be of use to other forum members looking for a work-around to solve this problem with Sonic/Roxio DLA.

Your other suggestion, to switch to InCD also has validity, given your comments about the program’s present state of maturity. You noted InCD is now stable. This might be the best choice for those not already having discs already formatted with DLA (compatibility problems, perhaps?).

There was a problem, I think(?), with the KC03 file at the CDFreaks’ link, as the executable failed to run, and 7-Zip failed to open it (even after the second download). I went directly to the Korean site, found another link, downloaded again, and then it unzipped. By that time I had also uninstalled and reinstalled 7-Zip so it is difficult to point to exactly what solved the problem. Other forum members may want to check this out, should the first firmware file not act normally.

Thanks again!
Ron